Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
April 19, 2014, 03:45:AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: So, Pavlov's sitting in a bar enjoying a pint. The phone rings. He jumps up and says, "Dang! I forgot to feed the dog!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: St. Michaels chaplet in latin  (Read 6390 times)
Ivar

« on: January 22, 2008, 08:26:AM »

Does anybody know if there is, and where one can find the St. Michaels chaplet in Latin? I would love to start praying it in Latin, but I cant find the prayers :S

Good can exist without evil, whereas evil cannot exist without good.
-St.Thomas Aquinas
Christopherpfair

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:31:PM »

Well, it is interesting that you should ask.  My Latin isn't all that good (I can understand it fine but reading is a lot easier than writing it!), but here is my first stab at it.  Hopefully some folks out there with a little more experience can help me get these in better shape.  Unfortunately, I can't find a single "official" Latin text on this.   Since this is a private devotion, it should be "okay" for a Traditionalist to translate it for himself to use.    Even given that, I have imitated liturgical Latin texts to get the same feel.  Please, edit away!  It isn't going to hurt my feelings, I just want a good Latin text for my devotions as well.  BTW, I am just relying on the traditional prayers for all of the other parts (Pater Noster, Ave Maria, and introduction to the Breviary part).  As a result they are not included here.

"By the intercession of St. Michael
and the Celestial choir of Seraphim,
may the Lord make us worthy
to burn with the fire of perfect charity.
Amen."

Per intercessionem sancti Michaelis et cappelam caelestis de Seraphim, ut Dominus nos dignios efficiat incendere cum ignis caritatis perfectae.  Amen

and the Celestial choir of Cherubim,
may the Lord vouchsafe to grant us grace
to leave the ways of wickedness
and run in the paths of Christian perfection.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Mechaelis et cappelam caelestis de Cherubim, ut Dominus nobis gratiam det abondare vias malas et continuare in vias perfectas Christi.  Amen

and the Celestial choir of Thrones,
may the Lord infuse into our hearts
a true and sincere spirit of humility.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Mechaelis et cappelam caelestis Thronorum, ut infundat Dominus in cordium nostrorum spiritum sincerum veritatesque humilitatem.  Amen

and the Celestial choir of Dominions,
may the Lord give us grace
to govern our senses
and subdue our unruly passions.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Mechaelis et cappelam caelestis de Dominationum, ut Dominus nobis gratiam det resipiscere et domare carnis nostra.

As you can see I am only on the fourth prayer, if anyone out there wants to help out please do so!  If not I will keep updating this as I complete this.  At present these are definitely in early first draft form!

Pax Christi Vobiscum!

Credo sed credem firmius!
Christopher Fair
AgnusDei1989
Musimaniac

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 01:50:PM »

Hope you don't mind a few corrections... mainly grammar, and not really huge mistakes. Smile I'm curious... where did you find "capella" for "choir"? I would have thought of chorus. Not saying it's wrong, just that I never saw it before.

Quote from: Christopherpfair

Amen."

Per intercessionem sancti Michaelis et cappellae caelestis Seraphim, Dominus nos dignos efficiat incendi (passive infinitive) igne (abl. of means) caritatis perfectae. Amen

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappellae caelestis Cherubim, Dominus nobis gratiam det relinquere vias malas et continuare in vias perfectionis Christianae. Amen

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappellae caelestis Thronorum, infundat Dominus in cordibus nostris spiritum sincerum verumque humilitatis. Amen

to govern our senses
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Mechaelis et cappellae caelestis Dominationum, Dominus nobis gratiam det gubernare sensus et dominare turbidas passiones.

(I know turbidas isn't perfect for unruly but it was the best option in the dictionary I used...)

As you can see I am only on the fourth prayer, if anyone out there wants to help out please do so!  If not I will keep updating this as I complete this.  At present these are definitely in early first draft form!

Pax Christi Vobiscum!

Pax tecum, and hope this helps!

Verbis defectis, musica incipit.

"Music is God's gift to man, the only art of Heaven given to earth, the only art of earth we take to Heaven." -- Walter Savage Landor
Ivar

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 04:19:PM »

Great stuff! Thanks!

Good can exist without evil, whereas evil cannot exist without good.
-St.Thomas Aquinas
Christopherpfair

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 08:38:PM »

AgnusDei,

I am delighted to receive corrections Smile  Truth is I have only ever had one semester of Latin at a Junior College and am hardly an expert.  Since nobody was helping Ivar I thought I would get this started.  

I don't really know exactly where I got cappella at, chorus would be just as good.  The main reason I didn't choose it was that I liked cappella better.  BTW, absolutely right it should be in the genitive there I don't know what made me think to put it in the accusative.  Your other suggestions are also good, the only one I personally like better but will defer is the last one where I said...

"domare carnis nostra"  Domare = dominare (same difference and dominare is better recognizable) and nostra is not necessary and redundant.  However the word "carnis" perfectly reflects what we are trying to say here.  One of the definitions that is commonly given for carnis is "lower passions".  "Passiones" is too closely connected in my mind with the Passion of the Lord and as a result I feel better with the word "flesh" in its secondary meaning of lower passions.  

This is just my opinion, but I propose the translation...

"dominare carnis petulantissima"  As for the rest of the suggestions I am adopting them wholesale and will continue with the translation until it is complete.

Thanks a bunch!

Christopher Fair

Christopherpfair

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 10:00:PM »

BTW,

This is what I have so far, still completely open to additional criticism ;)

Choir 1

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappellae caelestis de Seraphim, Dominus nos dignos efficiat incendi igne caritatis perfectae.  Amen

Choir 2

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis de Cherubim, Dominus nobis gratiam det relinquere vias malas et continuare in vias perfectionis Christianae.  Amen

Choir 3

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Thronorum, infundat Dominus in cordibus nostris spiritum sincerum verumque humilitatis.  Amen

Choir 4

to govern our senses
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Dominationum, Dominus nobis gratiam det gubernare sensus et dominare carnis petulantissima.

Choir 5

and the Celestial choir of Powers,
may the Lord vouchsafe to protect our souls
against the snares and temptations of the devil.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Potestatum, Dominus animas nostras defendat contra temptationes et insidias diaboli.

Choir 6

and the Celestial choir of Virtues,
may the Lord preserve us from evil,
an suffer us not to fall into temptation.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Virtutum, Dominus nos servet ab malo et non permittat cadere in temptationem.

Christopher Fair
AgnusDei1989
Musimaniac

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 02:37:PM »

Well, here goes... De, btw, is not a possessive in Latin as it is in Spanish; in Latin, it means "concerning, about." Seraphim and Cherubim are indeclinable.

Choir 1

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappellae caelestis Seraphim, Dominus nos dignos efficiat incendi igne caritatis perfectae. Amen

Choir 2

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Cherubim, Dominus nobis gratiam det relinquere vias malas et continuare in vias perfectionis Christianae. Amen

Choir 3

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Thronorum, infundat Dominus in cordibus nostris spiritum sincerum verumque humilitatis. Amen

Choir 4

to govern our senses
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Dominationum, Dominus nobis gratiam det gubernare sensus et dominare carnem petulantissimam. (direct object)

Choir 5

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Potestatum, Dominus animas nostras defendat contra tentationes et insidias diaboli.

Choir 6

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Virtutum, Dominus nos servet a malo et non permittat cadere in tentationem.

(ab with words that start with vowels, a with consonants)

You don't have to use dominare, of course it is exactly the same. I'm heartily agreed with your use of the word "carnis" although, as I changed it above, you did need to put it in accusative case.

For only having one semester of Latin you're impressive! Nice work!

"Music is God's gift to man, the only art of Heaven given to earth, the only art of earth we take to Heaven." -- Walter Savage Landor
Christopherpfair

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:48:PM »

Choir 1

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappellae caelestis Seraphim, Dominus nos dignos efficiat incendi igne caritatis perfectae.  Amen

Choir 2

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Cherubim, Dominus nobis gratiam det relinquere vias malas et continuare in vias perfectionis Christianae.  Amen

Choir 3

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Thronorum, infundat Dominus in cordibus nostris spiritum sincerum verumque humilitatis.  Amen

Choir 4

to govern our senses
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Dominationum, Dominus nobis gratiam det gubernare sensus et dominare carnem petulantissimam. Amen

Choir 5

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Potestatum, Dominus animas nostras  defendat contra tentationes et insidias diaboli. Amen.

Choir 6

Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Virtutum, Dominus nos servet a malo et non permittat cadere in tentationem. Amen

Choir 7

and the Celestial choir of Principalities,
may God fill our souls
with a true spirit of obedience.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Principatorum,, Dominus animas nostras cum animo obedientiae implet. Amen

Choir 8

and the Celestial choir of Archangels,
may the Lord give us perseverance in faith
and in good works,
in order that we gain the glory of Paradise.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Archangelorum, Dominus constantiam in fide et operibus bonis det, ut gloriam Paradisi obtinuerimus.  Amen

Choir 9

and the Celestial choir of Angels,
may the Lord grant us to be protected by them
in this mortal life
and conducted hereafter to eternal glory.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappelae caelestis Angelorum, Dominus ab eis protegamini in hoc vita mortale donet et post hac vita nostra perducemini ad gloriam aeternalem.

Well the last one was a little taxing, I doubt I got it right.  After I receive the corrections from AgnusDei I will proceed to the final two prayers.

Christopher Fair
GrumpyTroll
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:34:AM »

Choir 7

and the Celestial choir of Principalities,
may God fill our souls
with a true spirit of obedience.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappellae caelestis Principatorum, Dominus animas nostras cum animo [I would use spiritu] obedientiae impleat. Amen

Choir 8

and the Celestial choir of Archangels,
may the Lord give us perseverance in faith
and in good works,
in order that we gain the glory of Paradise.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappellae caelestis Archangelorum, Dominus nobis constantiam in fide et operibus bonis det, ut gloriam Paradisi obtineamus.  Amen

Choir 9

and the Celestial choir of Angels,
may the Lord grant us to be protected by them
in this mortal life
and conducted hereafter to eternal glory.
Amen."

Per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis et cappellae caelestis Angelorum, Dominus ab eis protegamini in hac vita mortali donet [from det to donet?] et posthac perducemini ad gloriam aeternalem.

I second AgnusDei’s comment: your level is impressive for only a semester of Latin.
AgnusDei1989
Musimaniac

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 04:52:PM »

Thanks for finishing it up for me, GT! Smile God bless, and may it prove fruitful... per intercessionem Sancti Michaelis omniumque Angelorum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Jump to: