Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
July 26, 2014, 05:08:AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gold walks into a bar. The bartender yells "AU! Get out!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: School teachers a hundred times more likely to abuse children than priests  (Read 3082 times)
JayneK
gfh

Personality type: INTJ

with my grandsons

« on: May 06, 2010, 12:57:PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-45964-Phoenix-Religion--Society-Examiner~y2010m5d3-Sexual-exploitation-of-children-in-Arizona-schools-reaches-epidemic-level

Comparing the incidence of sexual misconduct in schools with the Catholic Church scandal, Shakeshaft notes that a recent study by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops concluded 10,667 young people were sexually mistreated by priests between 1950 and 2002 [52 years]. In contrast, she extrapolates from a national survey conducted for the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation in 2000 that roughly 290,000 students experienced some sort of physical sexual abuse by a public school employee between 1991 and 2000 [8 years]. The figures suggest "the physical sexual abuse of students in schools is likely more than 100 times the abuse by priests."

ADORABLE Saviour, consider my many wants, and grant me those graces which Thou knowest I stand in need of to do Thy will in all things.
WanderingPenitent
A spiritual Knight-Errant.

Personality type: INTJ, Choleric.

Fear Not the Cold

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:02:PM »

No Censored Sherlock!

"I would rather fall with Adam,
than rise with all your gods."
-G.K.Chesteron

Bloggers were invented ca. 300 AD. and were originally called "monks." Like their distant social descendants, monks had horrible haircuts, rarely left their home, spoke a language to eachother no one else understood, and never went on dates.
ggreg
Banned for being an ass and bringing up old things that need not be brought up, even after she was told not to

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:16:PM »

Is that absolute or pro-rata?
JayneK
gfh

Personality type: INTJ

with my grandsons

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:23:PM »

As I understood the article, that's absolute (although I would appreciate an opinion from someone more knowledgeable about stats than I am).  Either way, it shows that the media reaction was been more about a witch hunt than concern for children.

ADORABLE Saviour, consider my many wants, and grant me those graces which Thou knowest I stand in need of to do Thy will in all things.
3Sanctus

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:06:PM »

According to those numbers, school teachers abuse 176.713... children for every one abused by a priest.

Those numbers shows that teachers abuse 36,250 children per year while priests abuse 205.1346... per year.

Anyone care to do the work to determine the number per capita for priests and teachers during those time periods?

Ora pro nobis, Sancta Mater Dei.

"Amen, amen I say to you, before Abraham was made, I AM."  -Our Lord

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."  -St. Basil the Great, Letter 203

3Sanctus

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:12:PM »

Based on a quick google search, there seem to be 6.2 million teachers in the United States (according to a website talking about teacher statistics and which seems to be a teacher-supporting organization).  According to Wikipedia (yeah...I know...) there are 41,406 diocesan and religious priests combined in the USA (considering the shrinking clergy during the time when the numbers in the OP's article were taken, I'd say current statistics would tend to produce results more in favor of anti-Catholics' claims).

Given that...there are 149.736... teachers in America for every priest in America.

Since there are 176.713... children abused by teachers for every child abused by a priest, that means teachers are clearly a bigger problem.

I know I only included teachers and not all school workers, but I'm pretty sure the currently-low number of priests in America is more of a skewing factor in this situation than any missing school workers.

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."  -St. Basil the Great, Letter 203
3Sanctus

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:18:PM »

That means the abuse to teacher ratio is .005846... while the abuse to priest ratio is .004954...

In other words, according to all this data, .58% of American teachers are child abusers, while .50% of American priests are child abusers.

Case closed, the U.S. government is far worse for our little ones than the worst diocese is, and this doesn't take into account the the fact the number of priests used in my calculations are ridiculously low, given the decline in priests since about 10 years into the period for the USCCB's numbers.

PilgrimageofGrace

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 02:53:PM »

The Shakeshaft data, and that of other US studies, is compared with the John Jay data on diocesan child abuse in one of the leaflets that Quis posted at the following link:
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3429699.0.html

Basically about 0.03% of Catholic children suffered sexual abuse at the hands of clerics over a 42 year period.

In American secular society 22-23% of children suffer sexual abuse.

In other words, of every ten thousand Catholic children just three suffer sexual abuse by a cleric.

Of every ten thousand American children in secular society, more than two thousand and two hundred suffer sexual abuse.

In secular American schools, of every ten thousand students nearly one thousand - (nine hundred and sixty) - will suffer sexual abuse.

Pilgrim

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 05:07:PM »

Nice to see some data to go with what everyone (except Catholic-bashers) already knows.

Is there any data about how sexually active those teachers were?  It's all about celibacy, dontcha know...  Rolling eyes

"And so, Lord, do you, who do give understanding to faith, give me, so far as you knowest it to be profitable, to understand that you are as we believe; and that you are that which we believe." -- St. Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109)

"But Christianity preaches an obviously unattractive idea, such as original sin; but when we wait for its results, they are pathos and brotherhood, and a thunder of laughter and pity; for only with original sin we can at once pity the beggar and distrust the king." -- G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."  Baudelaire and Verbal Kint from The Usual Suspects

"I'm a practicing Catholic; I'm practicing until I get it right." Martin Sheen
ardens

Personality type: ENFJ

Quaero et non invenio ubi posuerunt eum.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 05:39:PM »

I'm sure the odds ratios on family members molesting children is even higher than teachers.

For the rest, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever modest, whatsoever just, whatsoever holy, whatsoever lovely, whatsoever of good fame, if there be any virtue, if any praise of discipline, think on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy and Immortal One, have mercy upon us.
Now, O Christ, we ask thee, we beseech thee, have mercy.
Thou who came to redeem the lost, do not condemn the redeemed:
For by thy cross thou hast redeemed the world.                                               Amen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Jump to: