Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
July 23, 2014, 08:14:PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: Gold walks into a bar. The bartender yells "AU! Get out!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Nunsense  (Read 1951 times)
Penelope

« on: June 27, 2010, 01:20:AM »

Has anyone here seen the musical Nunsense? I've seen fliers for it but don't know much about it, except that it's a musical about nuns (or maybe sisters--it could be either, AFAIK). I've only seen the clip included below, which seems pretty solid to me, actually. So anyway, I'm wondering what others know about the musical, if it's worth watching, etc.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAXcsJw3FN8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAXcsJw3FN8</a>

"To the guts and to the flexing heart and to the whole body of this language in much love, in grief for my dullness and in shame for my smallness and meagreness and caution. May I in time become as worthy of it as man may become of his words." - James Agee
Gerard
Banned for disrespecting the Holy Father, snarkiness, and rad-traddy negativism

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:30:AM »

It's light fare.  There are a few innuendos thrown in some of the dialogues and monologues.  If you're not looking to be offended, it can be entertaining.  They don't utterly trash the Church and at the same time, it's not a devotional show.  Much more about the human aspects of nuns done with a wink and a nod to exaggeration. 

Accipiter

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:14:AM »

I watched this probably about 10 years ago (when I was 10 years old or so) with my grandparents.  I don't remember much about it.

However, I do remember there being disrespect towards the Blessed Virgin, and one part with one of the actors-dressed-up-as-a-nun being "stoned".  (I remember my grandparents telling me what "stoned" meant.)  I don't remember exactly what I thought was disrespectfull about Our Blessed Mother, but I remember leaving there with that idea...  I seem to remember one of the actor-nuns standing up there with a balloon in her habit (pretending to be the Blessed Virgin Mary with child) and then acting in a disrespectful manner.
DesperatelySeeking

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 12:20:PM »

I saw this many years ago in Boston.  I don't know if it's been revised since.

From what I remember, it's lighthearted and generally inoffensive.  The irreverence is mostly affectionate, particularly the gibes about the common experiences of attending Catholic school.

If you were looking to work yourself into a snit over it, you probably could, but it's pretty tame stuff.  We're not talkin' "The Last Temptation of Christ".
Penelope

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:54:AM »

Thanks, everyone. I think the whole thing is on YouTube, so I'll check it out.  Smile

"To the guts and to the flexing heart and to the whole body of this language in much love, in grief for my dullness and in shame for my smallness and meagreness and caution. May I in time become as worthy of it as man may become of his words." - James Agee

MiriamB

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 11:19:AM »

I thought it was disrespectful of the Church, the religious and the Blessed Virgin. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
WhollyRoaminCatholic
Excelsior!
Red Fish

Fisheaters is a strange place.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:58:PM »

It's not offensive, but it does make lighthearted fare of women who dedicate their lives to the Lord.

There's a certain kind of Catholics-are-in-on-the-jokeness of it that is fine if you have a healthy, balanced view of consecrated religious life.  But if you don't have a lot of exposure to women religious, then it can be an item of scandal to think that the religious life is all about cute little jokes. 

Next up: Sister Act.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:02:PM by WhollyRoaminCatholic » Logged

Nobody ever really leaves Fisheaters.
Penelope

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 01:10:PM »

Next up: Sister Act.

I see this devolving into Phatmass Round II...

introibo

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 05:21:PM »

If there were a series of shows about dancing, singing rabbis or mullahs, it wouldn't last long........
Christina

Behold the inheritance of the Lord are children; the reward, the fruit of the womb. As arrows in the hand of the mighty...(Psalm 126)
Vetus Ordo

Personality type: Sinner

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 05:23:PM »

If there were a series of shows about dancing, singing rabbis or mullahs, it wouldn't last long........
Christina

There you go. You've said it all.

"THE LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 26:1)

"And we, too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works which we have wrought in holiness of heart; but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." — Clement, bishop of Rome

"I love truth," says he, "and not sects. I am sometimes a peripatetic, a stoic, or an academician, and often none of them; but—always a Christian. To philosophise is to love wisdom; and the true wisdom is Jesus Christ. Let us read the historians, the poets, and the philosophers; but let us have in our hearts the gospel of Jesus Christ, in which alone is perfect wisdom and perfect happiness." — Petrarch
Pages: [1]

Jump to: