Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
April 21, 2014, 06:08:AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: So, Pavlov's sitting in a bar enjoying a pint. The phone rings. He jumps up and says, "Dang! I forgot to feed the dog!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FBI can look at your computer now  (Read 1745 times)
Petertherock
Greatest of all sinners

« on: July 30, 2010, 12:22:AM »

So the Dummycraps were upset when George Bush allowed wire tapping of foreign terrorists but they are A-OK with Obama allowing the FBI to get into anyone's computer without a warrant if they believe there is terrorist activity. It's not like .gov considers American citizens and tea party members to be terrorists...oh wait, they do.

This comes on the heels of the financial reform act that exempts the SEC from the Freedom of Information Act. Welcome to tyranny!

Darryl
Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus

"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." -St. Athanasius
3Sanctus

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:04:AM »

Can you provide primary sources on both the FRI allowed to go into anyone's computer and the SEC being exempted from FOIA.  I have some friends who would definitely be interested to hear this.

Ora pro nobis, Sancta Mater Dei.

"Amen, amen I say to you, before Abraham was made, I AM."  -Our Lord

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."  -St. Basil the Great, Letter 203
ResiduumRevertetur
Gold Fish
Personality type: E/INTJ

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:12:AM »

Can you provide primary sources on both the FRI allowed to go into anyone's computer and the SEC being exempted from FOIA.  I have some friends who would definitely be interested to hear this.
You can see the bill HR 4173, section 929I ("I" as in Igloo) for the new SEC law. Try Congress' website for a PDF. I don't know about the FBI one.

The name's Braintrust. Mr. Braintrust.

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people. --Stephen, Braveheart
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Deus, tu conversus vivificabis nos, et plebs tua laetabitur in te.
3Sanctus

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 08:21:AM »

You can see the bill HR 4173, section 929I ("I" as in Igloo) for the new SEC law. Try Congress' website for a PDF. I don't know about the FBI one.

Thanks!  I figure this sort of information makes for good Facebook mumbo jumbo - whenever I get on there again.

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."  -St. Basil the Great, Letter 203
Rosarium
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 08:43:AM »

Encrypt your file system, don't be a terrorist.

ResiduumRevertetur
Gold Fish
Personality type: E/INTJ

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 08:50:AM »

True, except when the government makes the term "terrorist" a moving target, that might be hard.

The name's Braintrust. Mr. Braintrust.

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people. --Stephen, Braveheart
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Deus, tu conversus vivificabis nos, et plebs tua laetabitur in te.
3Sanctus

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 08:50:AM »

How does one do this?  The first part, that is...the second part is pretty self-explanatory.

Petertherock
Greatest of all sinners

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 09:02:AM »

The problem is Obama's definition of a terrorist could include any pro life Catholic.

Or a tea party person.

Darryl
Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus

"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." -St. Athanasius
TraceG

Personality type: dunno

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 09:03:AM »

This is all ridiculous, we are on the cyclical pattern of government right now.  So much of what's going on is completely unconstitutional, but the damage has been done.
Rosarium
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 09:10:AM »

How does one do this?

It depends on the operating system and the file systems being used. I use Linux and Ext3 or later mostly. I encrypt certain files on my desktop computer and my file system on my laptop. It is not something I'd want to explain because then people would hold me responsible for tech support. If one knows their file system (and OS), it can be researched online easily. If one does not know...then this is the least of one's concerns.

This would prevent unauthorised snooping. It would not prevent social engineering or compensate for poor security in other areas (anyone here who shares a computer account with anyone is a security nightmare and should get the basics down before taking such measures).

Also, one can be legally compelled (in that it would be a crime to refuse) to decrypt a file system in certain situations, however, if one is in this position, one is already arrested and charged with a crime. This sort of action is usually used against suspicion of images of child abuse that were glimpsed by reliable witnesses already and when ownership of the computer is already admitted. For other things, there can be legal recourse because if producing documents or files would be incriminating by itself, it would be illegal to compel one to do. On the other hand, some laws are applied to computers when it may be inappropriate. Technology hasn't really been treated maturely by the legal system.

United States v. Boucher and United States v. Hubbell are my sources (inappropriate cited I know, but I do not have access to proper reporters at this time). Just be careful not to be in a special situation, like dealing with the military or crossing a border. The rules change when then.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:15:AM by Herr_Mannelig » Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Jump to: