Choose style:

Author Topic: Catholic view on aliens  (Read 3894 times)

candyapple

Catholic view on aliens
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:02:PM »
My husband and I are locked, and he believes in aliens. Our son is currently into outter space stuff. So you can see where this is going. Help.  :fish: That's what I want to do to my husband, give him the fish-eater smackdown. ;D
“To fall in love with God is the greatest romance; to seek him the greatest adventure; to find him, the greatest human achievement.”
― Augustine of Hippo
"Jesus is the owner of my heart, and belonging to Him I find that I can smile, even in the midst of tears." -St Gemma Galgani

patriciaa

Re: Catholic view on aliens
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:07:PM »
What do you mean by "locked" dear?

Rosarium

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:10:PM »
My husband and I are locked, and he believes in aliens. Our son is currently into outter space stuff. So you can see where this is going. Help.  :fish: That's what I want to do to my husband, give him the fish-eater smackdown. ;D

Believes in? Or is accepting of the possibility to a probable extent?

I'd ask "Where is the basis for this belief?". If the answer is not dangerous, then I'd leave it alone. How can one argue with such beliefs? If the answer is dangerous (in violation of known truths revealed), then I'd offer correction and leave it alone. One gets no where by arguing.

Of course, if someone did truly believe in such things, it would be a handy excuse. "Who ate all the cookies?!". "Aliens, they came and left in peace".

If that person believed, and there was no direct evidence to the contrary, how could that not be acceptable?

I don't suggest lying. That is just an example of the psychological effects. People believe in things like this because of curiosity and awe, not because of something meaningful. Even if there are aliens, we have to do the same things anyway and it is a sign of time and comfort for speculation.

Rosarium

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 05:11:PM »
What do you mean by "locked" dear?

At a standstill in discussion so third parties are being invited to break the deadlock.

kingtheoden

• Banned for not following Catechism on treatment of homosexuality
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:33:PM »
There is a topic on this forum that discusses this issue.

The likely answer is that the 'aliens' are not just figments of imaginations powered by whiskey, but they are not creatures from other bodies in space.  Rather, they are spiritual beings of some kind.  With this in mind, our basic Catholic instruction kicks in and tells us to immediately stop and not attempt any contact.  At all.

Whether or not there can be sentient beings on other planets or moons, that is an interesting question.  On the one hand, I could foresee some obvious theological problems with that.  I know some wonk from the Vatican recently declared a 'welcome' to non Earth creatures, but I personally think that we are far more unique than the Sciencists would have us believe.

Rosarium

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:41:PM »
The likely answer is that the 'aliens' are not just figments of imaginations powered by whiskey, but they are not creatures from other bodies in space.  Rather, they are spiritual beings of some kind.  With this in mind, our basic Catholic instruction kicks in and tells us to immediately stop and not attempt any contact.  At all.
This seems to be a specific response. One could believe that something describable as "life" exists in other places without going into such areas you describe.

The claims about otherworldly events (abductions, strange things, MIB, etc) of course are probably mistakes or deception, or the misattribution of diabolical influence.

Personally, I think it is usually deception and mistakes of erring observers as a whole.

Whether or not there can be sentient beings on other planets or moons, that is an interesting question.  On the one hand, I could foresee some obvious theological problems with that.  I know some wonk from the Vatican recently declared a 'welcome' to non Earth creatures, but I personally think that we are far more unique than the Sciencists would have us believe.
The main source of belief in aliens is not in evidence or probability, but in the atheist idea that life on earth created itself (somehow), so there is no reason it can't happen elsewhere.

Gerard

• Banned for disrespecting the Holy Father, snarkiness, and rad-traddy negativism
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:11:PM »
Here's a great, fun and enjoyable lecture available from Charles Coulombe and William Biersach

UFOs 
In this session, Bill and Charles tackle the question of whether or not there is life on other planets, and the baggage attached with that. For example, would the aliens have their own Adam & Eve, their own Fall? The duo also explore the various skeptical arguments: whether aliens are actually demons, the military, faeries (as written by St. Jerome), or perhaps a part of everyone's collective hysteria. 
2 CDs | 2 hours | $9.95
Listen to Sample

http://www.tumblarhouse.com/audio.php#UFOs

Jacafamala

• My mother, my confidence.
  • Gold Fish
  • Discorso della luna.
    • Rosa Mystica Mantilla
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 06:17:PM »
Aliens are mentioned in the Baltimore Catechism (#2, I believe), as being a possibility.  :tinfoilhat:

rosamysticamantilla.com

Above all things, preserve constant charity among yourselves; charity draws the veil over a multitude of sins. -1 Peter

Augstine Baker

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:35:PM »
Aliens are mentioned in the Baltimore Catechism (#2, I believe), as being a possibility.  :tinfoilhat:

See what I mean about the lameness of the Baltimore Catechism?

Vetus Ordo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 06:40:PM »
Aliens = fallen angels.
"THE LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the protector of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 26:1)

"And we, too, being called by His will in Christ Jesus, are not justified by ourselves, nor by our own wisdom, or understanding, or godliness, or works which we have wrought in holiness of heart; but by that faith through which, from the beginning, Almighty God has justified all men; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." — Clement, bishop of Rome

"I love truth," says he, "and not sects. I am sometimes a peripatetic, a stoic, or an academician, and often none of them; but—always a Christian. To philosophise is to love wisdom; and the true wisdom is Jesus Christ. Let us read the historians, the poets, and the philosophers; but let us have in our hearts the gospel of Jesus Christ, in which alone is perfect wisdom and perfect happiness." — Petrarch