thinkagain_728x90
Choose style:

Author Topic: "Eleison Comments" by Mgr. Williamson - Issue CCLVII - 257, TODAY’S GALATIANS  (Read 2046 times)

Christknight104

CCLVII (257)

16 June 2012
TODAY’S GALATIANS
“O you senseless Galatians,” cries out St Paul (Gal.III, 1), tearing a strip off one of his beloved flocks that was back-sliding, or wanting to go back from the New Testament to the Old Testament so as to satisfy Judaizers that would make them serve again “under the elements of the world” (IV, 3). It is remarkably easy to apply the Apostle’s tirade to the Traditional Catholics who are presently being tempted to slide back under Conciliar authorities so as to satisfy Nostra Aetate. But then it is the same world, flesh and devil, so with apologies to St Paul, let me adapt some verses from the Epistle to our own times:--

“O you senseless Tradcats ! Who has bewitched you, that you should not follow the Tradition of Our Lord Jesus Christ, as it has been set before you ? This only would I learn of you: have you been leading Catholic lives for several years thanks to Vatican II, or thanks to Catholic Tradition ? Are you so foolish that having experienced the fruits of Tradition you now want to give it up by putting yourselves back under the Conciliar authorities ? Were all those fruits in vain (III, 1-4) ?

“I am astonished that you are so soon drifting away from the line of Archbishop Lefebvre who called you into the grace of Christ, and instead towards the new gospel of Vatican II, which is no gospel at all, but these modernists are troubling you, and they want to pervert the Gospel of Christ. But if ourselves or an angel from Heaven were to try to tell you that the Council was not really that bad, throw him out and don’t listen ! Let me say it again: anyone pretending that the Archbishop would have been in favour of a deal today with Conciliar Rome should be thrown out ! Whose interests are we seeking ? Are we trying to please the Romans or to please God ? If these Romans liked me, I would be no servant of Christ ! (I, 6-10).

“Before you came to Tradition you were serving under churchmen who were turning the Church over to the world. But now, after you found Tradition, how can you be wanting to go back with the world, under the Conciliar authorities (IV, 8,9) ? Am I become an enemy of the SSPX because I tell the truth ? Those misleading you pretend to be looking after your interests, but they want you to forget about the Archbishop so as to serve their own interests (IV, 16,17). Stand fast, and do not come under the sway of the Council again (V, 1). You were doing well. How can you now be letting yourselves turned away from the Truth ? Whoever is doing this to you is no servant of God ! I do believe you will come to your senses, but whoever is misleading you bears a grave responsibility. Do you think I would be so persecuted if I was preaching the world ? Whoever is corrupting Tradition needs the knife for more than just circumcision (V, 7-12) !

“Those wanting the SSPX to go through Vatican II B are merely trying to avoid being persecuted for the Cross of Christ. They want you to be worldly, keeping only the outward appearances of Tradition. They want back in with the Judaizers in Rome, but God forbid that I should want anything other than the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified to me and I to the world. Whoever follows Tradition in this way, peace be to them, and mercy (VI, 12-16).”

Now read St Paul’s own Epistle. Let nobody pretend that the Word of God no longer applies !

Kyrie eleison.

TrentCath

• Banned for name-calling, rudeness, and general smartassery
    • Traditional Vocations info
CCLVII (257)

16 June 2012
TODAY’S GALATIANS
“O you senseless Galatians,” cries out St Paul (Gal.III, 1), tearing a strip off one of his beloved flocks that was back-sliding, or wanting to go back from the New Testament to the Old Testament so as to satisfy Judaizers that would make them serve again “under the elements of the world” (IV, 3). It is remarkably easy to apply the Apostle’s tirade to the Traditional Catholics who are presently being tempted to slide back under Conciliar authorities so as to satisfy Nostra Aetate. But then it is the same world, flesh and devil, so with apologies to St Paul, let me adapt some verses from the Epistle to our own times:--

“O you senseless Tradcats ! Who has bewitched you, that you should not follow the Tradition of Our Lord Jesus Christ, as it has been set before you ? This only would I learn of you: have you been leading Catholic lives for several years thanks to Vatican II, or thanks to Catholic Tradition ? Are you so foolish that having experienced the fruits of Tradition you now want to give it up by putting yourselves back under the Conciliar authorities ? Were all those fruits in vain (III, 1-4) ?

“I am astonished that you are so soon drifting away from the line of Archbishop Lefebvre who called you into the grace of Christ, and instead towards the new gospel of Vatican II, which is no gospel at all, but these modernists are troubling you, and they want to pervert the Gospel of Christ. But if ourselves or an angel from Heaven were to try to tell you that the Council was not really that bad, throw him out and don’t listen ! Let me say it again: anyone pretending that the Archbishop would have been in favour of a deal today with Conciliar Rome should be thrown out ! Whose interests are we seeking ? Are we trying to please the Romans or to please God ? If these Romans liked me, I would be no servant of Christ ! (I, 6-10).

“Before you came to Tradition you were serving under churchmen who were turning the Church over to the world. But now, after you found Tradition, how can you be wanting to go back with the world, under the Conciliar authorities (IV, 8,9) ? Am I become an enemy of the SSPX because I tell the truth ? Those misleading you pretend to be looking after your interests, but they want you to forget about the Archbishop so as to serve their own interests (IV, 16,17). Stand fast, and do not come under the sway of the Council again (V, 1). You were doing well. How can you now be letting yourselves turned away from the Truth ? Whoever is doing this to you is no servant of God ! I do believe you will come to your senses, but whoever is misleading you bears a grave responsibility. Do you think I would be so persecuted if I was preaching the world ? Whoever is corrupting Tradition needs the knife for more than just circumcision (V, 7-12) !

“Those wanting the SSPX to go through Vatican II B are merely trying to avoid being persecuted for the Cross of Christ. They want you to be worldly, keeping only the outward appearances of Tradition. They want back in with the Judaizers in Rome, but God forbid that I should want anything other than the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified to me and I to the world. Whoever follows Tradition in this way, peace be to them, and mercy (VI, 12-16).”

Now read St Paul’s own Epistle. Let nobody pretend that the Word of God no longer applies !

Kyrie eleison.

I've met the bishop and heard him preach on several occasions, I respect him and think he's sincere but this is just too much! Not only does it come across as incredible arrogance but some of it positively reeks of schism. 

JMartyr

I am all for reconciliation if there are no strings attached, but that line from Cardinal Burke and obedience to the Holy Father has me kind of worried. A personal prelature requiring permission from the Ordinary to open priories smells like trouble to me.
“All the modernists were excommunicated by St. Pius X. Those imbued with the modernist principles are the ones who excommunicated us, while they were the ones who were excommunicated by St. Pius X. Why do they excommunicate us? It is because we want to remain Catholic, because we do not want to follow them in this spirit of destruction of the Church. ‘Since you don’t want to come with us, we excommunicate you.’ ‘Very well, thank you. We prefer to be excommunicated. We do not want to participate in this shocking work in the Church that has been carried out in the last 20 years”- Archbishop Lefebvre; sermon in the Mass of July 10, 1988

Walty

Unlike some here, I respect and appreciate +Williamson.  However, I question his stance as a sedeplenist and his sincerity to the spirit of Archbishop Lefebvre.  If, as +Fellay has said, Rome will allow the SSPX to remain totally unchanged and will not require any compromise on the stance of the Society, then by what authority would +Williamson still deny the reconciliation?  If Benedict is truly the pope, he can only be opposed when asking for something which conflicts with the faith or morals of the Catholic Church.

I understand that +W's response would seem to be that any recognition by Rome IS a compromise, but Archbishop Lefebvre coexisted with and worked within the post-conciliar structure for years.  He did not feel that the apostasy of Rome meant that the Society must, by principle, break off from Rome.  It was Rome that sought to shove the SSPX out of the structure of the Church, not the Society looking to escape.

Now, I share the worries of many throughout the SSPX that there is miscommunication or trickery going on.  I fear that what is being promised by Rome won't actually be delivered.  I fear that, even if sincere, Rome will change with the next pontificate and the SSPX will lose numbers and property by once again moving from a regular state to an irregular one.

But none of this is what +Williamson is talking about.  He's simply talking about the compromise of being recognized by the post-Conciliar Church.  It seems at odds with the history of the Society.
Quote from: Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P.
The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes;
she is tolerant in practice because she loves.
The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe;
 they are intolerant in practice because they do not love.

Timorem Domini docebo vos.

Walty

I am all for reconciliation if there are no strings attached, but that line from Cardinal Burke and obedience to the Holy Father has me kind of worried. A personal prelature requiring permission from the Ordinary to open priories smells like trouble to me.

This is worrisome.  It remains unseen whether this is just some offhand comment relating Cardinal Burke's personal opinion or a revelation that the official stance of Rome in these discussions is not actually what we're being told that it is.
Quote from: Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P.
The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes;
she is tolerant in practice because she loves.
The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe;
 they are intolerant in practice because they do not love.

Timorem Domini docebo vos.

TrentCath

Indeed, I am not opposed per se so long as the SSPX was treated as a bishop not a religious order (as +Fellay says it will be) but the line from Cardinal Burke still worries me...

Phillipus Iacobus

God bless Bishop Richard N. Williamson!

TrentCath

Unlike some here, I respect and appreciate +Williamson.  However, I question his stance as a sedeplenist and his sincerity to the spirit of Archbishop Lefebvre.  If, as +Fellay has said, Rome will allow the SSPX to remain totally unchanged and will not require any compromise on the stance of the Society, then by what authority would +Williamson still deny the reconciliation?  If Benedict is truly the pope, he can only be opposed when asking for something which conflicts with the faith or morals of the Catholic Church.

I understand that +W's response would seem to be that any recognition by Rome IS a compromise, but Archbishop Lefebvre coexisted with and worked within the post-conciliar structure for years.  He did not feel that the apostasy of Rome meant that the Society must, by principle, break off from Rome.  It was Rome that sought to shove the SSPX out of the structure of the Church, not the Society looking to escape.

Now, I share the worries of many throughout the SSPX that there is miscommunication or trickery going on.  I fear that what is being promised by Rome won't actually be delivered.  I fear that, even if sincere, Rome will change with the next pontificate and the SSPX will lose numbers and property by once again moving from a regular state to an irregular one.

But none of this is what +Williamson is talking about.  He's simply talking about the compromise of being recognized by the post-Conciliar Church.  It seems at odds with the history of the Society.
a) it looks like a deal will have to be concluded soon
b) and whats this about property? I've heard it in several places but nothing in my law classes has mentioned anything about religious orders... so long as their name is on the title deed its theirs, though if its a charities name etc.. that may be a little more complicated

Phillipus Iacobus

Quote from: Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
It is for that that Ecône remains in being, it is for that that Econe exists, because we believe that what the Catholics have taught, what the Popes have taught, what the Councils have taught for twenty centuries, we cannot possibly abandon. We cannot possibly change our faith: we have our Credo, and we will keep it till we die. We cannot change our Credo, we cannot change the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, we cannot change our Sacraments, changing them into human works, purely human, which no longer carry the grace of Our Lord Jesus Christ. It is because, in fact, we feel and are convinced that in the last fifteen years something has happened in the Church, something has happened in the Church which has introduced into the highest summits of the Church, and into those who ought to defend our faith, a poison, a virus, which makes them adore the golden calf of this age, adore, in some sense, the errors of this age. To adopt the world, they wish to adopt also the errors of the world; by opening on to the world, they wish also to open themselves to the errors of the world, those errors which say, for example, that all religions are of equal worth. We cannot accept that, those errors which say that the social reign of Our Lord Jesus Christ is now an impossibility and should no longer be sought. We do not accept that. Even if the reign of Our Lord Jesus Christ is difficult, we want it, we seek it, we say every day in the Our Father: "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." If His will were done here below as it is done in heaven - imagine what it would be like if God's will were really done here below as it is done in heaven: it would be paradise on earth! That is the reign of Our Lord which we seek, which we desire with all our strength, even if we never achieve it; and, because God has asked that from us, even if we have to shed our blood for that kingdom we are ready. And that is what the priests are whom we form at Econe, priests who have the Catholic faith, priests such as have always been formed.

Phillipus Iacobus

"It appears to us much more certain that the faith taught by the Church over twenty centuries cannot contain error than that there is absolute certainty that the Pope really is the pope. Heresy, schism, ipso facto excommunication, and the invalidity of the election are all potential reasons why a Pope was never really the pope or should cease to be the pope. In such a case, clearly a very exceptional one, the Church would find herself in a situation similar to that which she experiences after the decease of a Sovereign Pontiff. For, in a word, a very serious problem presents itself to the conscience and the faith of all Catholics since the beginning of the papacy of Paul VI. How is that a Pope, the true successor of Peter, assured of the assistance of the Holy Spirit, could preside over the destruction of the Church, the most profound and extensive in her history, in such a short space of time, something which no heresiarch has ever succeeded in doing? To this question there will one day have to be a reply." Declaration by Mgr Lefebvre to Figaro, reproduced in Monde et Vie no 264, for 27 August 1976. This was shortly after he was suspended a divinis (in July 1976) for ordaining priests contrary to the order of Paul VI.