Author Topic: St. Penelope??? Can you find her info??  (Read 3983 times)

Appolonia

St. Penelope??? Can you find her info??
« on: August 10, 2007, 03:36:PM »

Is there a St. Penelope???   I am searching the name for friends who named their baby after it.   

"How hard it is to be a Christian!" moans the persevering non-Catholic. "How impossible it is to be anything else!" cries the Catholic
-Mgr Robert Hugh Benson

DominusTecum

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 03:55:PM »

Wellll.... I looked through the (pretty-much exhaustive) Patron Saints Index, and I looked in both my copies of Butler's, and sorry to say, I don't think there is one. :(

Paul

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 06:46:PM »
There's no Penelope listed in the Martyrology, either.

AdoramusTeChriste

• Dances with Chopper
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 06:59:PM »
The Greek Orthodox have a philanthropic women's organization called Daughters of Penelope, but that is all I could find.

Sorry!
TRAD UP!!!
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
To listen to the hymn- http://fisheaters.com/forumpix/adoramustechriste.html

"I am convinced that the crisis of the church which we are living through today was largely caused by the disintegration of the liturgy."              
- The former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger

"Their cold stares remind me of the neo-cons that just sign up to FE - they are fish, but they are dead." ~ Marty

timjp77

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 10:49:AM »
In Homer's Odyssey, Penelope was the wife of Odysseus and waited 20 years for his return from the Trojan war.  She can be held up as an example of a faithful wife, albeit, non-Christian.

I'm not aware of any St. Penelope.

and behold I am with you always, to the close of the age.  Matthew 28:20

introibo

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 12:05:PM »
In the little pamphlet, "Is it a Saint's Name" (Tan Books), next to Penelope, it says "Irene", as if this is the Christian form of it...

Christina
Behold the inheritance of the Lord are children; the reward, the fruit of the womb. As arrows in the hand of the mighty...(Psalm 126)