Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
April 23, 2014, 06:41:AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: So, Pavlov's sitting in a bar enjoying a pint. The phone rings. He jumps up and says, "Dang! I forgot to feed the dog!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anglican Breviary for sale  (Read 2350 times)
obscurus
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:44:AM »

I thought I would post my offer here to get more visibility.

I purchased a copy about a year ago thinking that I would actually put it to use but alas this has not been the case. It is the entire Divine Office in "Elizabethan" English (not of the ICEL kind!).

As others have noted on this forum, the Anglican Breviary is easily conformable to the 1955 Roman Breviary. In fact, the FSSP has even recommended its use.

It is in near mint condition and I am selling it for $50 plus $5 s&h a total which is considerably lower than the retail price.

If you have any questions about this edition you can go to this link for further information.

Archbishop_10K
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 06:33:PM »

Is the language of the Anglican Breviary a lot better than the language used on the translation side of the Breviary.net edition?
aquinas138

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 06:46:PM »

Quote from: Archbishop_10K
Is the language of the Anglican Breviary a lot better than the language used on the translation side of the Breviary.net edition?

It's the same in some places and similar in others.  Sometimes the feast's gospel homily is different than the Roman Breviary, but not very often.

Sicut canis qui revertitur ad vomitum suum, sic imprudens qui iterat stultitiam suam. (Prov. 26:11)

Esse nihil dicis quidquid petis, inprobe Cinna:
si nil, Cinna, petis, nil tibi, Cinna, nego. (Martial 3.61)
Archbishop_10K
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 12:02:AM »

Quote from: aquinas138
It's the same in some places and similar in others.  Sometimes the feast's gospel homily is different than the Roman Breviary, but not very often.

Interesting. I have to admit, sometimes I think the English language used by the Anglicans in the Book of Common Prayer and the King James Bible is just better, from a literary perspective, than what's found on the translation side of the Missal or the Douay Rheims Bible. This can be understood by the fact that the Anglicans have had many more English scholars at their disposal, as well as the DR's aim for accuracy over florid language. I'd only be interested in the Anglican Breviary, though, if it's a faithful translation of the Divine Office in the Church's eyes.

Also, as I understand, even traditional Catholics acknowledge this to a degree because they typically pray the Our Father according to a translation first appearing in the Book of Common Prayer, not the version appearing in the DR's gospel of Matthew or in a manner which reflects a literal translation from the Vulgate.
Credo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 07:19:AM »

Come the beginning of December, if you are still looking into selling the Anglican Breviary, please PM me and we'll talk!

I promise not to put anything here which might help us question our mind-forged manacles, inspire us, or help us in any way at all.

N.B.: I will not be posting on this site again until the Christmas octave. Have a good Advent.

militiaimmaculata

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 05:02:AM »

Obscurus said "In fact, the FSSP has even recommended its use."

I don't know if they have actually recommended its use, but they have allowed it in the past.  Only due to a shortage of Roman Breviaries, I believe. 

My opinion- Stay away from the Anglican Breviary.  We are not Anglicans- we are Roman Catholics.  I'm not being anti-ecumenical, I'm just giving my opinion.  After being familiar with a few English translations of the the Roman Breviary, I picked up an Anglican Breviary and immediately noticed how differently the prayers were translated.  I could not help thinking "this is a protestant book".  I realize it is based on the Roman Breviary, but it is not the Roman Breviary.

Now, I realize at this particular time there is no complete Roman Breviary in English in print.  A few options in no particular order-

1) Wait for Baronius Press to release theirs.

2) Find a used copy of a complete Roman Breviary in English (caution-very expensive)

3) Buy it in Latin. http://www.pcpbooks.com/new_books_pages/breviarium_romanum.htm

4) Use breviary.net

5) Buy a "Short Breviary" (since most laymen don't actually have the time to pray all 7 canonical hours anyway)

a) Angelus Press has one in print.

b) Find a used one on ebay (usually reasonable) or from a used a book
               finder like www.addall.com, www.bookfinder.com, or
               www.abebooks.com

Example of a copy of "Lauds, Vespers, and Compline" from Abebooks:

Lauds, Vespers Compline in English Reprinted from the Hours of the Divine Office in English and Latin an Official Approved Edition of the Roman Breviary
Staff at the Liturgical Press

Bookseller: Storybook House
(Southampton, ON, Canada)
Bookseller Rating: 5-star rating
Price: US$ 44.73
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1
Shipping within Canada:
US$ 5.07
[Rates & Speeds]
Add Book to Shopping Basket

Book Description: Liturgical Press, Collegeville, Minnesota, 1965. Trade Paperback. Book Condition: Very Good. Text in English only, scratch on front cover. Bookseller Inventory # 24555

militiaimmaculata

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 04:58:AM »

And I nearly forgot-  There is always the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The edition that Baronius Press just released is beautifully done and is very high quality.  I have it right in from of me now. I highly recommend it.  My point in my fomer post is that there are so many resources available one does not need to resort to praying an office that was translated and modified outside the Church.  Remember, these are people who rejected Papal authority and still do today.  They have modified the office (I realize in small ways) to fit their belief system.  The Roman Breviary is so wonderful, please use it instead of something else.

militiaimmaculata
Jodie
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 03:00:PM »

I use the 1904 edition of The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary. How does the 1904 edition differ from the 1914 edition? I've heard some people prefer the 1914 edition.

Quo_Vadis_Petre
Red Comet

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 03:31:PM »

Quote from: Jodie

I use the 1904 edition of The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary. How does the 1904 edition differ from the 1914 edition? I've heard some people prefer the 1914 edition.

I've seen both editions and more or less, they are the same. Rubrical changes are the main difference from what I've heard (saying different antiphons for certain Hours, etc., due to the fact the 1904 edition is the Propaganda edition, whereas the 1914 is the Roman edition, with revisions by St. Pius X).

"In our time more than ever before, the greatest asset of the evil-disposed is the cowardice and weakness of good men, and all the vigour of Satan's reign is due to the easy-going weakness of Catholics."   -St. Pius X

"If the Church were not divine, this Council [the Second Vatican Council] would have buried Her."   -Cardinal Giuseppe Siri

St. Peter Arbues, pray for us.
obscurus
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 05:06:PM »

The offer no longer stands as someone has purchased a copy. Thank you!
Pages: [1]

Jump to: