Anglican Breviary for sale

(1/2) > >>

obscurus:
I thought I would post my offer here to get more visibility.

I purchased a copy about a year ago thinking that I would actually put it to use but alas this has not been the case. It is the entire Divine Office in "Elizabethan" English (not of the ICEL kind!).

As others have noted on this forum, the Anglican Breviary is easily conformable to the 1955 Roman Breviary. In fact, the FSSP has even recommended its use.

It is in near mint condition and I am selling it for $50 plus $5 s&h a total which is considerably lower than the retail price.

If you have any questions about this edition you can go to this link for further information.

Archbishop_10K:
Is the language of the Anglican Breviary a lot better than the language used on the translation side of the Breviary.net edition?

aquinas138:
Quote from: Archbishop_10K

Is the language of the Anglican Breviary a lot better than the language used on the translation side of the Breviary.net edition?

It's the same in some places and similar in others.  Sometimes the feast's gospel homily is different than the Roman Breviary, but not very often.

Archbishop_10K:
Quote from: aquinas138

It's the same in some places and similar in others.  Sometimes the feast's gospel homily is different than the Roman Breviary, but not very often.

Interesting. I have to admit, sometimes I think the English language used by the Anglicans in the Book of Common Prayer and the King James Bible is just better, from a literary perspective, than what's found on the translation side of the Missal or the Douay Rheims Bible. This can be understood by the fact that the Anglicans have had many more English scholars at their disposal, as well as the DR's aim for accuracy over florid language. I'd only be interested in the Anglican Breviary, though, if it's a faithful translation of the Divine Office in the Church's eyes.

Also, as I understand, even traditional Catholics acknowledge this to a degree because they typically pray the Our Father according to a translation first appearing in the Book of Common Prayer, not the version appearing in the DR's gospel of Matthew or in a manner which reflects a literal translation from the Vulgate.

Credo:
Come the beginning of December, if you are still looking into selling the Anglican Breviary, please PM me and we'll talk!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page