Archives > Catholic News Archive VII

Novena to Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal

(1/1)

Vincentius:
On this day (or tomorrow if you like to finish on the Feast Day) you can commence the novena to On this day (or tomorrow if you like to finish on the Feast Day) you can commence the novena to Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal – Feast Day the 27th November.

Our Lady manifested the Miraculous Medal to St. Catherine Laboure on November 27, 1830 in the motherhouse of the Daughters of Charity in Paris. Catherine saw Our Lady standing on a globe, with dazzling rays of light streaming from her outstretched hands. Framing the figure was an inscription: O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. Then Mary spoke to Catherine: "Have a medal struck upon this model. Those who wear it will receive great graces, especially if they wear it around the neck." Our Lady also said that many graces are not given because no one asks for them.  So let us do the asking.

NOVENA PRAYER TO OUR LADY OF THE MIRACULOUS MEDAL

Immaculate Virgin Mary, mother of our Lord Jesus and our mother, we have confidence in Thy powerful and never-failing intercession, manifested often through the Miraculous Medal. We Thy loving and trustful children, ask Thee to obtain for us the graces and favors we ask during this novena if they will be for the glory of God and the salvation of souls. (Here privately form your petitions.)

Thou knowest, O Mary, how often our souls have been the sanctuaries of Thy Son who hates iniquity. Obtain for us then a deep hatred of sin and that purity of heart which will attach us to God alone so that our every thought, word, and deed may tend to His greater glory.

Obtain for us also a spirit of prayer and self-denial that we may recover by penance what we have lost by sin and at length attain to that blessed abode where Thou art the queen of angels and of men. Amen.

O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us: O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee.

PaxVobiscum:
Is this Novena prayer to be said once a day or nine times a day?  

And are you supposed to say a Pater Noster,  Ave, and Gloria each time you say it?  Or are there other prayers that are said with this prayer as part of the Novena, apart from the usual Sign of the Cross?  I suppose you would have said if there were but a lot of Novenas do include the Pater, etc., and I want to do it right.  I'm sure they get heard however they're said but it'd nice to keep to TRADITION, isn't it?  :laughing:

I checked the Novena list at the main FE site but it's not on there, so I thought I'd just check with you before doing a search.

Good on you for posting this!  :clap: :clap: :clap:   Glad I saw it in time to start the Novena today.  

I personally have known two people who had miraculous healings associated with the Miraculous Medal, people I knew well enough to have as guests in my home and stay in theirs, too.  One is dead now (she was 93, lived more than 70 years after her miraculous hearing), and I've lost track of the other but I'm going to try writing to her since I have addresses for two of her sisters.  

Vincentius:
The prayers are to be said once a day for nine days.  There are several novenas in honor of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal.  They are all efficacious.  Some novenas do not include a Pater, Ave and Gloria, but it wouldn't hurt saying them.

I'm including here the novena of the the confraternity of the Miraculous Medal which is slightly longer:

--- Quote ---Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Your faithful, and kindle in them the fire of Your love.
Send forth Your Spirit, and they shall be created;
and You shall renew the face of the earth.
O God, You instructed the hearts of the faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit.
Grant us in the same Spirit to be truly wise and ever to rejoice in His consolation, through Jesus Christ out Lord. Amen.

O Mary, conceived without sin,
pray for us who have recourse to thee.
(3 times)

Lord, Jesus Christ, You have been pleased to glorify by numberless miracles the Blessed Virgin Mary, immaculate from the first moment of her conception. Grant that all who devoutly implore her protection on earth may eternally enjoy Your presence in heaven, Who, with the Father and the Holy Spirit live and reign, God forever and ever. Amen.

Lord Jesus Christ, for the accomplishment of your works, You have chosen the weak things of the world, that no flesh may glory in your sight. And for a better and more widely diffused belief in the Immaculate Conception of Your Mother, You have wished that the Miraculous Medal be manifested to Saint Catherine Labouré. Grant, we beseech You, that filled with like humility, we may glorify this mystery by the word and work. Amen.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, tat never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored you help or sought your intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to you, O virgin of virgins, my Mother; to you I come, before you stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Immaculate Virgin Mary, mother of our Lord Jesus Christ and out Mother, penetrated with the most lively confidence in your all-powerful and never-failing intercession, manifested so often through the Miraculous Medal, we your loving and trustful children implore you to obtain for us the graces and favors we ask during this Novena, if they be beneficial to our immortal souls, and the souls for which we pray...

(Mention your request).

You know, Mary, how often our souls have been the sanctuaries of your Son Who hates iniquity. Obtain for us then a deep hatred of sin and that purity of heart which will attach us to God alone so that out every thought, word and deed may tend to His greater glory. Obtain for us also a spirit of prayer and self-denial that we may recover by penance what we have lost by sin and at length attain to that blessed abode where you are the
Queen of Angels and of Men. Amen.

O Mary, conceived without sin,
pray for us who have recourse to thee.
(3 times)

Amen.
--- End quote ---

IMO, two medals should be worn by Catholics (or carried in their person) -- the Miraculous Medal and the St. Benedict Medal (of course, aside from the Brown Scapular). 

Investiture in the Miraculous Medal Association:

--- Quote ---Obligations/Practices
Wearing the Medal
 The Miraculous  Medal  is  an approved sacramental and allows the the wearer to take advantage of Mary's promise:
"Those who wear it will receive great graces;  abundant graces will be given to those who have confidence."

Enrollment in an Association
 Anyone, living or deceased, Catholic or not, may be enrolled as a member and obtain these graces and the spiritual benefit of Masses offered for members (for example, the Central Association in the U.S. offers 2,500 Masses a year).

Investiture
  Invested membership involves these obligations:  
 1.  Formally enroll in an approved Association and renew the membership yearly
 2.  Wear the Medal (around the neck is highly recommended)
 3.  Have the intention to sanctify oneself and others by means of the Medal
 4. Investiture which may be done publicly or privately

Benefits
1.  Receive the graces promised by the Blessed Virgin Mary
 2. Receive the spiritual benefits of numerous Masses offered for members by the Vincentians
 3. Promoters who sign up others receive spiritual benefit from additional Masses
 4. Invested members receive an indulgences on the following days:
  ~ Day of joining the Association
  ~ August 22 (Feast of the Queenship of Mary)
  ~ September 27 (Feast of St. Vincent de Paul)
  ~ November 27 (Feast of the Miraculous Medal)
  ~ November 28 (Feast of St. Catherine Laboure)
  ~ Anniversary date of the founding of the Association in which one is enrolled
 * The indulgence is plenary under the normal conditions: confession, communion, prayer for the Pope's intentions and freedom from attachment to all sin

--- End quote ---

Enroll here.

Spooky7272:
Thank you for posting this. I love the Miraculous Medal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version