Author Topic: Purple Cassocks  (Read 4854 times)

ILikeAugustine

Purple Cassocks
« on: January 14, 2008, 04:05:PM »
When is it proper for one to wear a purple cassock? At first I thought monsignors wore them with a surplice, as Msgr. Marini can always be seen wearing them at papal masses. However, I know a number of monsignors who wear black cassocks, and I have also seen lay altar servers wearing purple (though infrequently).

If someone could shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

DrBombay

Purple Cassocks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 04:22:PM »
There's a diff between a house cassock and a Mass cassock as far as Msgrs.  I believe the all purple should always be worn at Mass.

That's all I've got.  

FlosCarmeli

Purple Cassocks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 04:40:PM »
Monsignor's usually only wear their purple cassock's in formal settings meaning, in church, at a gathering, or a visit to a seminary or something ecclesiastically related.

MagisterMusicae

• Resident Contrarian
Purple Cassocks
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 03:00:AM »
The Purple Cassock is called the "Choir Cassock". It is used when a bishop is saying Mass or in any ceremony when he would be seated in Choir. It is sometimes worn after and before these ceremonies when it is inconvenient to change.

The Black Cassock with Color Trimmings (and sometimes a shoulder cape) is called the "House Cassock" and is worn throughout the day when a bishop is not participating in any liturgical ceremony, but is performing other duties. Sometimes bishops also use a plain black cassock as their house cassock. The trimmings and the sash color correspond to their office.

Minor Prelates (Monsignori who are not bishops) have the privilege of using some Pontificals, including the use of the cassocks.

For example, if Bishop Williamson were assisting in choir at an ordination (but not doing the ordaining), he would wear the purple cassock, rochet, and mantelletta along with a purple biretta. If he were the ordaining bishop the purple cassock would go under all of the rest of his Mass vestments.

Let us say an old priest was given the title Monsignor by the Pope. He also could wear the above accouterments, except he could not wear a purple biretta (only a black biretta with a amaranth red tuft. If he were a Pronotory Apostolic de numero (a Curia member with duties in Rome) he could wear the rochet and manteletta. If he were a supernumerary (honorary title outside of Rome) he would be restricted to the surplice.

Marty

Purple Cassocks
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 05:12:AM »

Quote from: MagisterMusicae
The Purple Cassock is called the "Choir Cassock". It is used when a bishop is saying Mass or in any ceremony when he would be seated in Choir. It is sometimes worn after and before these ceremonies when it is inconvenient to change.

The Black Cassock with Color Trimmings (and sometimes a shoulder cape) is called the "House Cassock" and is worn throughout the day when a bishop is not participating in any liturgical ceremony, but is performing other duties. Sometimes bishops also use a plain black cassock as their house cassock. The trimmings and the sash color correspond to their office.

Minor Prelates (Monsignori who are not bishops) have the privilege of using some Pontificals, including the use of the cassocks.

For example, if Bishop Williamson were assisting in choir at an ordination (but not doing the ordaining), he would wear the purple cassock, rochet, and mantelletta along with a purple biretta. If he were the ordaining bishop the purple cassock would go under all of the rest of his Mass vestments.

Let us say an old priest was given the title Monsignor by the Pope. He also could wear the above accouterments, except he could not wear a purple biretta (only a black biretta with a amaranth red tuft. If he were a Pronotory Apostolic de numero (a Curia member with duties in Rome) he could wear the rochet and manteletta. If he were a supernumerary (honorary title outside of Rome) he would be restricted to the surplice.

Nice work :)

Templar

Purple Cassocks
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:22:AM »
How about a simple (and naive) question (but a sincere one).

Why do we hardly ever see parish priests in cassocks anymore, yet the hierarchy above them you still do?  Did it just become unfashionable for the lower ranks to wear them?  That would seem a strange and unnatural development, as such things usually come from the top down in a hierarchy.
Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo Da Gloriam

"Critique Principles not People. Be Discriminating but don't Nitpick. Be Academic not Acerbic. Be Principled not Polemical."  - Shawn Tribe, New Liturgical Movement

Tradglad

Purple Cassocks
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 11:17:AM »
   Not sure when they changed. I remember my pastor from childhood wearing a cassock and wearing a jacket and black fedora ( he later was made monsignor). I see him at Mass every now and then. He wears his shirt and collar  and a windbreaker (no colors or piping).
    He was addressing a roup of seminarians at a breakfast and was ask how to become Monsignor. He smiled and replied (with the Bishop there) "Ya gotta kiss the Bishops butt a lot." (Fr was almost 80 at the time).

I recently saw a photo of  Bishop Williamson wearing a white cassock and purple sash. Are there allowed? I know priests wear a black shirt and collar and I have heard some wear a different color at times (gray or blue?).
I don't care to belong to a club that  
accepts people like me as members.  
- Groucho Marx

PeteC

Purple Cassocks
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 11:29:AM »
Quote from: Tradglad
  Not sure when they changed. I remember my pastor from childhood wearing a cassock and wearing a jacket and black fedora ( he later was made monsignor). I see him at Mass every now and then. He wears his shirt and collar  and a windbreaker (no colors or piping).
    He was addressing a roup of seminarians at a breakfast and was ask how to become Monsignor. He smiled and replied (with the Bishop there) "Ya gotta kiss the Bishops butt a lot." (Fr was almost 80 at the time).

I recently saw a photo of  Bishop Williamson wearing a white cassock and purple sash. Are there allowed? I know priests wear a black shirt and collar and I have heard some wear a different color at times (gray or blue?).

I think it depends on climate- in hot/tropical climates white may be worn instead of black. I've only seen my bishop wear black in official photos in Rome and other photos that appear on the notice boards when he says something or issues a statement. When he comes for Confirmations, etc. he wears white trimmed with purple.

oiboyz

• My blog
Purple Cassocks
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 12:41:PM »
Why do we hardly ever see parish priests in cassocks anymore, yet the hierarchy above them you still do?  Did it just become unfashionable for the lower ranks to wear them?  That would seem a strange and unnatural development, as such things usually come from the top down in a hierarchy.
I think that as our world modernized, and formal and ecclesiastical dress became less familiar, priests felt less comfortable in cassocks and stopped wearing them.  The higher ranks, however, have more reason to stick to traditional dress.  They need to look the part, and it's easier for them to do since it's expected of them.

In my parish most of the priests wear the cassock, even when they're out walking the tough neighborhood streets around our parish.  Sometimes they get the nastiest comments from young punks.  On the few occasions I've been out walking with a priest in a cassock, I've seen teenagers get incredulous looks when they see him coming, and you can tell from their faces that they're trying really, really hard to come up with something snide and shocking to say.  That'll tell you why most priests don't do it.  A bishop can't avoid his role so easily, though.

ILikeAugustine

Purple Cassocks
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 01:18:PM »

Quote from: MagisterMusicae

Very informative, thank you.