Archives > Catholic News Archive VII

Cardinal Tisserant and Vatican II

(1/2) > >>

PaxVobiscum:
Can anybody tell me about Cardinal Tisserant's role in Vatican II?  I know I've read about it before but I don't know where and a search didn't turn up what I wanted to know.  Thanks.

Robb:
I've heard that he was actually elected Pope in 1958 but declined to accept since the communist threatened to nuke Rome if he became Pontiff?

Bob

devotedknuckles:
i just can't buy that one. i have heard many things but this i just cant buy

HMiS:

--- Quote from: Robb ---I've heard that he was actually elected Pope in 1958 but declined to accept since the communist threatened to nuke Rome if he became Pontiff?

Bob

--- End quote ---
Cardinal Tisserant was the one who arranged the votes of the progressivist French bishops and archbishops for the election of the liberal Angelo Roncalli (pope John XXIII) in 1958. It was Giuseppe Cardinal Siri of Genoa (Italy) who was forced to resign after being elected already and vested in the papal robes (according to rumours and a CIA agent's book about espionage). Siri was afterwards "sealed" with the "oath of secrecy on the Conclave". Siri was a controversial man, doctrinally very sound and orthodox Catholic, and in 1949 had preached against Italians voting for the Communist Party. While the Soviets feared him and his election, and threatened to increase persecution of Christians and especially Catholics in the entire East Bloc, Siri also frequently had contacts with the Moscow Embassy in Rome. It is rumoured that Siri was again elected in 1963, but again forced to resign or could not even vest himself, after intervention by the B'nai B'rith organization (Masonic-style exclusively Jewish lobby group) who desired Giovanni Battista Montini (Paul VI), Ambrosian Rite Catholic archbishop of Milan (Italy).

Cardinal Tisserant was a diplomat under Pope Pius XII, saved the face of some (by 1955 all replaced!) anti-Communist and pro-German bishops of France who had favoured the creation of the Anti-Bolshevist Legion of Volunteers in Vichy France. He was also probably a secret Liberal, and afterwards publicly supported the Vatican II reforms.

PaxVobiscum:

--- Quote from: HMiS ---
--- Quote from: Robb ---I've heard that he was actually elected Pope in 1958 but declined to accept since the communist threatened to nuke Rome if he became Pontiff?

Bob

--- End quote ---
Cardinal Tisserant was the one who arranged the votes of the progressivist French bishops and archbishops for the election of the liberal Angelo Roncalli (pope John XXIII) in 1958. It was Giuseppe Cardinal Siri of Genoa (Italy) who was forced to resign after being elected already and vested in the papal robes (according to rumours and a CIA agent's book about espionage). Siri was afterwards "sealed" with the "oath of secrecy on the Conclave". Siri was a controversial man, doctrinally very sound and orthodox Catholic, and in 1949 had preached against Italians voting for the Communist Party. While the Soviets feared him and his election, and threatened to increase persecution of Christians and especially Catholics in the entire East Bloc, Siri also frequently had contacts with the Moscow Embassy in Rome. It is rumoured that Siri was again elected in 1963, but again forced to resign or could not even vest himself, after intervention by the B'nai B'rith organization (Masonic-style exclusively Jewish lobby group) who desired Giovanni Battista Montini (Paul VI), Ambrosian Rite Catholic archbishop of Milan (Italy).

Cardinal Tisserant was a diplomat under Pope Pius XII, saved the face of some (by 1955 all replaced!) anti-Communist and pro-German bishops of France who had favoured the creation of the Anti-Bolshevist Legion of Volunteers in Vichy France. He was also probably a secret Liberal, and afterwards publicly supported the Vatican II reforms.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, HMiS.   Now that you've posted that, I seem to recall that Tisserant left the Sistine Chapel, breaking the seal on the door, to go confer with Freemasons when Siri was elected the second time.   That is, he did so, along with someone else, according to those who support the idea that Siri was elected to the papacy twice.   They say Siri was the man Pius XII wanted to succeed him.

I just read La Popessa, about Sister Pascalina, who was Pope Pius XII's housekeeper and friend, later adviser, from the time he was a monsignor in Munich until his death.   The cardinals in Rome didn't like a nun having influence on the pope and Tisserant in particular was quite obnoxious to her and to the Holy Father, according to the book.   She could work circles around everyone else and she took care of Pius, who had several bouts of tuberculosis, preparing his food herself and making sure he ate it, making sure he rested, etc.   People were jealous of her -- La Popessa was one of the nicer things they called her although they didn't mean it kindly -- and Tisserant's machinations are mentioned over and over.    

According to the book, Pope Pius XII knew he was going to be called an anti-Semite if he didn't speak out more forcefully against the Nazis but knew that speaking out more forcefully would cause more killings.  I don't know if he ever wrote that down, though I'd expect he would have, or if that was something Sister Pascalina told the author a quarter century after Pius's death.  How sad that some today can't understand the life and death nature of the dilemma he faced.  Wasn't it the Dutch bishops who all preached against the Nazis one Sunday?   I know the Nazis retaliated by rounding up Jews and Catholics to be killed or sent to the camps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version