Archives > Catholic News Archive VII

Modesty of unmarried women--St. Alphonsus

<< < (9/10) > >>

Marc:

--- Quote from: HailGilbert ---There was an article in a 2005 edition of The Latin Mass magazine, written by a priest, talking on how spiritual exercises fit for one temperament could lead to damnation for another temperament.

For cholerics, he recommended St. Alphonsus De Ligouri.

But for melancholies like myself, he recommends St. Francis De Sales, especially his Introduction to the Devout Life. The works of De Ligouri could lead a melancholy like myself to despondency and despair of ever escaping Hell. De Sales, on the other hand, reaches out to folks like me and give hope.

--- End quote ---
Rev. Conrad Hock in his Four Temperaments also recommends devotion to the Passion and Our Lady of Sorrows for those of melancholic complexion; further methods of spiritual training follow the exposition of each temperament.   

The Four Temperaments by Rev. Conrad Hock
link [angelicum.net]

luigi:
Introduction to Devout Life: http://books.google.com/books?id=d8kCAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA34&dq=introduction+devout+life&ei=Jk0rSdnlIY2YMpry5IwC

AdoramusTeChriste:

--- Quote from: Marc ---
--- Quote from: HailGilbert ---There was an article in a 2005 edition of The Latin Mass magazine, written by a priest, talking on how spiritual exercises fit for one temperament could lead to damnation for another temperament.

For cholerics, he recommended St. Alphonsus De Ligouri.

But for melancholies like myself, he recommends St. Francis De Sales, especially his Introduction to the Devout Life. The works of De Ligouri could lead a melancholy like myself to despondency and despair of ever escaping Hell. De Sales, on the other hand, reaches out to folks like me and give hope.

--- End quote ---
Rev. Conrad Hock in his Four Temperaments also recommends devotion to the Passion and Our Lady of Sorrows for those of melancholic complexion; further methods of spiritual training follow the exposition of each temperament.   

The Four Temperaments by Rev. Conrad Hock
link [angelicum.net]

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the link. I used to own this book, and I highly recommend it.

HailGilbert:
I found the article I mentioned.

It is called "The Melancholic Temperament and the Catholic Soul" by Fr. Christian Kappes. He is a priest of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis. It was printed in the Fall 2005 edition of The Latin Mass magazine, on pages 18-22.

If anyone can find a web link to it, please post it. Fr. Kappes was also planning to write other articles on the other three temperaments as well. Thank you.

newtolatin:

--- Quote from: HailGilbert ---I found the article I mentioned.

It is called "The Melancholic Temperament and the Catholic Soul" by Fr. Christian Kappes. He is a priest of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis. It was printed in the Fall 2005 edition of The Latin Mass magazine, on pages 18-22.

If anyone can find a web link to it, please post it. Fr. Kappes was also planning to write other articles on the other three temperaments as well. Thank you.

--- End quote ---

Latin Mass does not post all their articles, just a few so that ppeople can get an idea of what sort of articles they print in their magazine.

Thanks for mentioning that he plans to continue the series (I hope he hasn't forgotten!). I really enjoyed that particular article a lot and was planning to try to find the others, since I assumed that they had been published previously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version