Author Topic: heavy petting  (Read 5952 times)

kzarah

• Agnus Dei
heavy petting
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:57:PM »
A question came up at work whether or not the Catholic Church considers heavy petting a mortal sin. 
To Modern Catholics:
We are what you once were.
We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped.
If we are wrong now, you were wrong then.
If you were right then, we are right now.

Sancte Joseph, terror daemonium et patriarcha sanctae Familiae, ora pro nobis.

ONeill

heavy petting
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:07:AM »

I think someone needs to take a class on how to design polls... either that or be a politician.

Also "heavy petting" needs definition. Using this: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/heavy+petting I would say it is improper for those who cannot lawfully engage in natural sexual activities, and its sinfullness depends on the intent and level.

This account is left over from the forum database transfer. It was once deleted, but the backup database used to create this new forum had it active.

kzarah

• Agnus Dei
heavy petting
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:53:AM »
You see I came from a time where sex was just not spoken about except by kids from the public school and my uncle Russ. 
It has not been until recent years that I even thought about it. 
Is it just part of making out or is it a step further. 
I am 54 years old and single.  I am not interested in dating at my age.  I guess my mind does wonder.
Daniel

To Modern Catholics:
We are what you once were.
We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped.
If we are wrong now, you were wrong then.
If you were right then, we are right now.

Sancte Joseph, terror daemonium et patriarcha sanctae Familiae, ora pro nobis.

ONeill

heavy petting
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:05:AM »

I would say it is very improper (I consider any activity considered passionate, ie, you wouldn't do it to your niece or a child, to be improper for unmarried people and I think the Church would support his) and would be sinful assuming there was full intent (not someone unduly pressured into it, or if it happens without plan and is ceased as soon as it is realised, etc)

EDIT: I voted for the sake of it, although I do think the poll was poorly designed, I would consider such activities to be sinful and with full intent, mortally sinful.

This account is left over from the forum database transfer. It was once deleted, but the backup database used to create this new forum had it active.

didishroom

• Guten Morgen!
heavy petting
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 01:17:AM »
Yes, until you're married, you shouldn't be doing any kissing that you wouldn't do in front of your families.

Petting is basically foreplay and if you're not supposed to do what follows foreplay than foreplay itself would be wrong and pointless, as it would end in either a more serious sin or fustration on the other partner for being disrupted after being lead on.

"We're from Jersey. Not New Jersey, just Jersey.  We curse a lot. We say "yo" and we say it often. We sure as hell don't pump our own gas. We know what real pizza tastes like and we know that a bagel is much more than a roll wit a hole in the middle. We judge people by what exit they are off the parkway or by what mall they live closest to. We drive SUVs and we tailgate any chance we get.  All good nights must end in a diner, preferably with cheese fries. It's a sub, not a hoagie or a hero. and I wash it down with soda, not pop.  I have a dawg, and I drink cawfee.  ..and New York City, is "the city." We know 65 mph means 80 mph."-Anon

Foolish then, is he who departs from the Vicar of Christ Crucified, who has the keys of the Blood, or who goes against him . . . Even though the pope were satan incarnate himself, I may not lift up my head against him, but I must always humble myself, and beg for the Blood as a mercy, for in no other wise can I obtain a part of it -St. Catherine of Sienna.

If desire has equal power with actual Baptism, you would then be satisfied to desire Glory, as though that longing itself were Glory!-St. Gregory Nazianzen.

ONeill

heavy petting
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 01:23:AM »
Be careful; I've seen some shocking things done in front of me...

DrBombay

heavy petting
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 01:45:AM »
How could fondling another person's genitals be anything but a mortal sin??

Cyriacus

heavy petting
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 02:25:AM »
I'm not familiar with the term, but I would think that the intentionality of such contact is paramount.

Even stroking a non-spouse on top of the head, regardless of the amount of pressure applied, is sinful if it is done to satisfy a sexual impulse.

I can imagine circumstances in which no sin is incurred for touching even sexual regions, such as if one's friend itches terribly in some region and is a quadruple amputee. If neither party derives delectation from the satisfaction of this itch and there is no intention towards such a thing, I can't see how it would be sinful, though it may very well be an occasion of sin.

Walty

• Member..
heavy petting
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 02:33:AM »
Firstly, what is or isn't heavy petting has been poorly defined in this thread.

Secondly, it seems, however, that just about any definition you could slap on it would undoubtedly be a mortal sin.  Willfully sexually stimulating yourself or someone else in anyway would seem to be always very grave and very sinful.

Quote from: Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P.
The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes;
she is tolerant in practice because she loves.
The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe;
 they are intolerant in practice because they do not love.

Timorem Domini docebo vos.

Adonis33

heavy petting
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 07:11:PM »

I don't know - If you start scratching under their chin...wait...this isn't about dogs, it it?

If, then, you are looking for the way by which you should go, take Christ, because He Himself is the way.

--St. Thomas Aquinas