Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
April 20, 2014, 10:03:AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: So, Pavlov's sitting in a bar enjoying a pint. The phone rings. He jumps up and says, "Dang! I forgot to feed the dog!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Author Topic: Catholicism and martial arts.  (Read 8067 times)
damooster
Gold Fish

« on: June 24, 2010, 08:12:AM »

I have had a desire to learn kung fu for a long time now and I am ready to begin. However, I've read that there is a lot of inner spirituality that is tied in with kung fu and so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this. I want to make sure that the beliefs don't contradict or interfere with Catholicism.

Rosarium
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:19:AM »

I have had a desire to learn kung fu for a long time now and I am ready to begin. However, I've read that there is a lot of inner spirituality that is tied in with kung fu and so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this. I want to make sure that the beliefs don't contradict or interfere with Catholicism.

There is much imagery and traditional explanations in some forms of martial arts. It need not be used literally (if at all).

For example, a very straight foward martial artist (he was special forces in the USSR) used eastern martial artist methods with different explanations for various things. He didn't really care why it worked (although, he did, but the important thing was that certain imagery, breathing patterns, etc did actually have a real biological effect (and origin)), only that it did. The human mind is very complex and how it interacts with the body is not fully known. Some things are very simple as well.

The actual beliefs would contradict and be forbidden to accept, however, most martial artist communities don't have actual beliefs in that.

Wǔshù has its origins in actual combat, so training with this primary tradition would exclude any spiritualism that would be a problem.

But remember, if you are uncomfortable or unsure about something, reject it until you are sure it is ok.
mom

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:59:PM »

My children take taekwondo. Their instructor is a born again Christian and there is ZERO Eastern spirituality involved in their instruction.  The main school they compete against is also run by a BAC and they pray before tournaments.

It all depends on the school and instructor.
Clare Brigid

Personality type: Melancholic/choleric; INFJ

Do whatever He tells you.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 03:34:PM »

You are wise to look before you leap, grasshopper.

Owl

"Now I want you to have confidence in me and believe my word.  It is not our perfection which is to dazzle God, Who is surrounded by myriads of angels.  No, it is our misery, our wretchedness avowed which draws down His Mercy. All God's dealings with us are a consequence of His Mercy (Mercy is God's goodness touched by the sight of misery).  And that is why the great Saint Paul says, let others go to God leaning on the perfection of their life (as the Pharisee), "for me, I take glory in my infirmities that my strength may be Christ's virtue." If you could only once understand that you are never dearer to God, never glorify Him more than when in the full realization of your misery and unworthiness, you gaze at His infinite goodness and cast yourself on his bosom, believing in faith that His Mercy is infinitely greater than your misery . . . Now the triumph of his grace is when it raises up the miserable and impure . . . ." -- Bl. Columba Marmion
Magdalene
Blue Fish

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:01:PM »

Although I no longer practice karate as my time needs to go for other things, I was once a Nidan, second degree black belt. I loved it!  There was no spirituality involved in the Shorin Ryu style as I pursued it.  It was wonderful exercise.  I used to teach women some basic self defense too.

Ave Maria!

TradCathYouth
The Sword That Smites Evil

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 12:01:AM »

My children take taekwondo. Their instructor is a born again Christian and there is ZERO Eastern spirituality involved in their instruction.  The main school they compete against is also run by a BAC and they pray before tournaments.

It all depends on the school and instructor.

I took Tae Kwon Do some years ago, too. I got to black belt, then stopped when I had to go away for college.
Benno
Banned because he wanted to be

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 01:44:AM »

Martial arts are very useful.
WhollyRoaminCatholic
Excelsior!
Red Fish

Fisheaters is a strange place.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 07:25:AM »

It will depend a lot on your instructor.  Get Tulkas involved, he's probably the resident expert on the subject.

Nobody ever really leaves Fisheaters.
Benno
Banned because he wanted to be

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 07:29:AM »

Keats would be good too, without all the exercise.  Smile
devotedknuckles
the causes go, true rebels remain

Personality type: incorrigible buffalo

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 10:35:AM »

what is your goal?

what i sattracting you to kung fu? have u looked into a certain style? southern or northern? internal? external? avid anything that is wu shu thats just nonsense if your looking for traditional.

i trained in chen tajiquan but the rest of my training wa sin traditional Japanese martial arts, Philippine kali/arnis and Israeli krav mag (with much dabbling in jeet kune do(everybody loves bruce!). but i am very similar with Chinese kung fu. have you ever explored Vietnamese fighting systems or the knife and stick  systems of Indonesia or Philippines?

anyway the first qustion u should answer is whats your goal. and ta kwon do i don't consider a martial art but i'm biased as i thing its bullshit

This is the journey
from which, for me there shall be no return
wholly drenched
is the pine tree of  tears
-Yoshida Shoin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Jump to: