SSPX vs. FSSP?

<< < (2/20) > >>

MagisterMusicae:
There's lots of rhetoric that is thrown out by both SSPX toward FSSP and vice versa. Most of it people loudly proclaim but don't understand. The SSPX accuses the FSSP of being "compromisers" whereas the FSSP loves to cause scruples about SSPX Sacraments.

In the end, one should have a principled reason for attending the Masses of the SSPX or FSSP. I personally think there are good reasons to avoid the FSSP unless serious convenience or necessity requires me to go. Some FSSP folks would refuse to go to the SSPX, even if they had no other traditional Mass. If someone can justify their reasoning based on solid objective principles, you can have a discussion and try to understand. If they aren't, don't bother.

So, that said, if you can have a rational discussion with you roommate, sit down over a beer or something and talk about what he means by "compromisers" and ask him to give specific examples, not just generalizations. Perhaps you'll get a better understanding of what he means, and if he has nothing behind that statement, then perhaps it will invite him to explore the issue more and get you answers, or to rethink his position. Perhaps in the course of the discussion you will learn something important you didn't know and you too will question some of the FSSP's actions. Either way, if you can have a peaceful and rational discussion, it can only help you two understand each other better.

Petertherock:
My preference is as follows...SSPX, FSSP (or other groups like ICK etc.) Diocesan TLM, and avoid the NO at all cost. Since our Bishop has done everything he can to keep the SSPX and FSSP out of our diocese we have no choice but the diocesan TLM.

nsper7:
Quote from: Jitpring

Greetings. I live with a former 5-year seminarian of the SSPX. I attend FSSP Masses, while he goes to SSPX ones. Being a relatively new convert, I'm not yet equipped to adequately deal with his fairly frequent jibes at the FSSP and those who attend them. For example, he says that the FSSP compromised the faith through its gaining of official status with Rome. Moreover, he implies that those who attend FSSP Masses are weak compromisers. More generally, his critique of the FSSP mirrors those seen here by the SSPX:

http://www.sspx.org/articles_index.htm#fraternity

I agree with my roommate and the SSPX on all other matters I've looked into so far. The Novus Ordo Church nauseates me. But my roommate and I part company regarding the FSSP. I believe that the FSSP is the leaven the Church needs to return to tradition and sanity, and that the FSSP's entering into accord with Rome was savvy and providential. What do you think? Any tips in dealing with my roommate on these issues? Thanks.

Just my two cents: stick with Rome. You know that the FSSP Masses are valid and licit and fulfill the Sunday obligation and they have jurisdiction to hear Confessions/grant Absolution. The SSPX argues that 'supplied jurisdiction' grants them the ability to give valid Absolutions, but do you want to stake your soul on their questionable interpretation of Canon Law? Also, the SSPX lacks any Canonical status within the Church and, although Msgr. Perl, I believe, said it was okay to attend an SSPX TLM and fulfill your Sunday obligation if your intention is non-schismatic, I also believe he recommended against it. Better to attend a Catholic NO Mass or TLM (whether Diocesan, FSSP, ICK, etc.) than to risk problems with the SSPX Masses, but that is just my opinion, but I would be wary of groups that are in a state of disobedience to Rome.

Scipio_a:
Quote from: Jitpring

Greetings. I live with a former 5-year seminarian of the SSPX. I attend FSSP Masses, while he goes to SSPX ones. Being a relatively new convert, I'm not yet equipped to adequately deal with his fairly frequent jibes at the FSSP and those who attend them. For example, he says that the FSSP compromised the faith through its gaining of official status with Rome. Moreover, he implies that those who attend FSSP Masses are weak compromisers. More generally, his critique of the FSSP mirrors those seen here by the SSPX:

http://www.sspx.org/articles_index.htm#fraternity

I agree with my roommate and the SSPX on all other matters I've looked into so far. The Novus Ordo Church nauseates me. But my roommate and I part company regarding the FSSP. I believe that the FSSP is the leaven the Church needs to return to tradition and sanity, and that the FSSP's entering into accord with Rome was savvy and providential. What do you think? Any tips in dealing with my roommate on these issues? Thanks.

Well, the SSPX has a stand.  It is official and makes sense.  I buy into it 100%

That said, I would never take anyone to task that I knew over going to the FSSP, or SSPV since the fact is that THEY could be right.  It is also possible that ALL of them are right to a certain extent (Let anyone who wants to argue with me about that start a new thread...I promise...I will not visit it since I don't care that much)

Here on the forum when, in the past, the topic has come up, I have been strong and mellow (with different posters) in my defense of the SSPX stand on this....

I think you need to say "Listen dude, if you want to nag me and be my wife go to VT and get a marriage license, if that's not what you want, stop nagging me.  I know it is because you care."

But the fact is it is not just because he cares about you...although he does (I assume).  He also like almost all trads, wants his stand to be echoed.  It is something anyone can empathize with who is a trad.  The topic is so important and NOONE wants to be wrong because they are all sure eternal salvation is at stake.

Among trads I may be a bit of an anomaly on this since I finally came to the conclusion that since it is such confusing times any real attempt is going to count in your favor...be it NO (shudders) with real Faith, and they do exist, FSSP, SSPX, SSPV, CMRI, other organizations and even independents.  Why? because they are all Catholic.  So if your girlfriend wants to bicker...put a stop to it.  If he wants to have a discussion and you are interested...fine, talk away....there is plenty of material on this forum in past threads for you to reconstruct arguments.....and become Scipio...LOL

Scipio_a:
Quote from: nsper7

Just my two cents: stick with Rome. You know that the FSSP Masses are valid and licit and fulfill the Sunday obligation and they have jurisdiction to hear Confessions/grant Absolution. The SSPX argues that 'supplied jurisdiction' grants them the ability to give valid Absolutions, but do you want to stake your soul on their questionable interpretation of Canon Law? Also, the SSPX lacks any Canonical status within the Church and, although Msgr. Perl, I believe, said it was okay to attend an SSPX TLM and fulfill your Sunday obligation if your intention is non-schismatic, I also believe he recommended against it. Better to attend a Catholic NO Mass or TLM (whether Diocesan, FSSP, ICK, etc.) than to risk problems with the SSPX Masses, but that is just my opinion, but I would be wary of groups that are in a state of disobedience to Rome.

Oh sh** here we go again with moronic stuff about stick with Rome.

the FSSP and SSPX are both with Rome.  There is not question about a soul being in a questionable state with regard to any sacrament offered by the SSPX....you Nsper...on the other hand are in a completely questionable state...as previously discussed.  If you are worried about disobedience to the Church...to Rome....get you gone from you NO parish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page