Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
April 23, 2014, 06:41:AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: So, Pavlov's sitting in a bar enjoying a pint. The phone rings. He jumps up and says, "Dang! I forgot to feed the dog!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Author Topic: Hasidic Enclave gets it on modesty  (Read 11739 times)
QuisUtDeus
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:42:AM »

Some days I think I have more in common with Hasidic Jews than Novus Ordo Catholics...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/08/31/welcome-to-kiryas-joel-please-dress-accordingly/

Welcome To Kiryas Joel: Please Dress Accordingly
August 31, 2010 11:59 PM
Print Share 72   

Signs have been put up in the Orange County village of Kiryas Joel to discourage outfits like the one worn by Jessica Pantalemon (above) when visiting their community.

KIRYAS JOEL, N.Y. (CBS 2) – You may never see a more unusual “Welcome” sign in Orange County.
A sign in Kiryas Joel, the Hasidic Jewish enclave, is evoking mixed reaction.
Monroe resident Jessica Pantalemon stopped to cash a check in Kiryas Joel wearing a bright pink tank top and white shorts. She said she noticed scowling faces.
“Just from the women, mostly,” she said. “The guys let me walk by, the women stop and stare, start whispering to each other…I just ignore them.”

The tradition in the village of Satmar Hasidic Jews is modesty. Even on the hottest of days, most residents cover up from head to toe. But visitors don’t necessarily follow that tradition, and now the main synagogue is asking them to comply.
Congregation Yetev Lev posted signs at the village’s entrance – in both English and Spanish – asking outsiders to cover their legs and arms, use appropriate language and maintain gender separation in public.
“It’s a way of respect,” said one resident.
In fact, most residents say it’s simply a polite reminder to respect the local culture, and many visitors take the signs in that spirit.
“It’s nice to request that people behave in a way respect to their beliefs,” said Barry Kaufmann of Wantagh.
But the sign struck a sour note with some.
“They’re telling us that we can’t come into their community unless we dress a certain way,” said Adia Parker, an Orange County resident.
“I feel like my constitutional rights are being violated,” said Tyrone Wheeler, a day laborer in the village seeking work.
A village trustee pointed out the signs said nothing about consequences for violating these guidelines – because there are no consequences.
“We’re not threatening anyone,” said Rabbi Jacob Freund. “Everybody is free to come in and be the same, like all other places in the United States.”
So dressing like Jessica Pantalemon may elicit a scowl, but it won’t earn you a summons.
The New York Civil Liberties Union said because the signs were paid for privately and are not on public land and they pass constitutional muster.
Exilenomore

Munda cor meum

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:50:AM »

“I feel like my constitutional rights are being violated”

Since when is it a 'right' to drag people on the road to hell? Error has no rights.

As I have accepted the sede impedite position, I revoke my former posts which contained gallicanist tendencies.
Credo

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:02:AM »

Quote from: Exilenomore
Since when is it a 'right' to drag people on the road to hell?

Shorts and a blouse are dragging people to hell? There was a time when stories like the above would have me cheering. Now such reports just seem silly.

Error has no rights.

Error has no rights, but people do.

I promise not to put anything here which might help us question our mind-forged manacles, inspire us, or help us in any way at all.

N.B.: I will not be posting on this site again until the Christmas octave. Have a good Advent.
cunctas_haereses

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:13:PM »

Guess the Hasids would have no issues with a full burka-clad Moslem woman then

Heaven is a REWARD, not a RIGHT.

Every truly pagan society has, at it's core, some form of human sacrifice. In today's world, it's abortion.
Iolanthe

Personality type: broken record

"If one can't be happy one must be amused"

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:18:PM »

Do they own the land? If not, they have no right to tell people how to dress. If the government wants to start enforcing laws of public decency it has the authority to do so, but a bunch of people living in one particular place do not.

If they own the property they can make up whatever rules they want for visitors. 

"Tenthly, one should pour tea into the cup first. This is one of the most controversial points of all; indeed in every family in Britain there are probably two schools of thought on the subject. The milk-first school can bring forward some fairly strong arguments, but I maintain that my own argument is unanswerable. This is that, by putting the tea in first and stirring as one pours, one can exactly regulate the amount of milk, whereas one is liable to put in too much milk if one does it the other way round."
George Orwell

JoeVoxxPop

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:23:PM »

I watched a travel show about Iran and I was struck at how proper and reserved the woman were, and they were not in head to toe Burkas. But like you quis I felt angery that these Iranian woman showed more humility and decency then alot of American in Women at Church...IMO
Credo

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:42:PM »

Proper, humility, decency... what do these words mean? Alright, humility I get. Proper and decent seem to be in the eye of the beholder.

I promise not to put anything here which might help us question our mind-forged manacles, inspire us, or help us in any way at all.

N.B.: I will not be posting on this site again until the Christmas octave. Have a good Advent.
JoeVoxxPop

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 05:00:AM »

Proper, humility, decency... what do these words mean? Alright, humility I get. Proper and decent seem to be in the eye of the beholder.
in this case the beholder to which i refer is the creator. God is not a relatavist. The female form is a force to be reconed with and God has established within Christian culture and who borrow from Christian Culture a sense of propriety that is to a large degree recognised universaly in that culture.
Credo

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 08:15:AM »

Quote from: voxpopulisuxx
God has established within Christian culture and who borrow from Christian Culture a sense of propriety that is to a large degree recognised universaly in that culture.

How do we know this (i.e.: vague ideas about propriety) is from God as opposed to the natural development of cultural quirks?

In light of the above quote, how then do we explain the rise of social nudism in historically Christian areas of the world (e.g.: France, America, and most outstandingly, Germany)?

cunctas_haereses

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 08:37:AM »

Error has no rights, but people do.

People have no RIGHT to promulgate error. That's what the phrase means. It's a teaching of the Church.

Heaven is a REWARD, not a RIGHT.

Every truly pagan society has, at it's core, some form of human sacrifice. In today's world, it's abortion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Jump to: