Author Topic: Bipolar and Mortal Sin  (Read 1189 times)

Pax et Bonum

Bipolar and Mortal Sin
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:31:PM »
I was recently diagnosed with an atypical form of Bipolar Disorder. As such, sometimes I have massive struggles with impurity due to my irregular brain chemistry.

Would my mental illness remove some culpability from the times I commit a sin of impurity? When I'm stable, I have no interest in sex. It's only when my mood swings or dips that I have a problem with it.

Rosarium

Re: Bipolar and Mortal Sin
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:35:PM »
I was recently diagnosed with an atypical form of Bipolar Disorder. As such, sometimes I have massive struggles with impurity due to my irregular brain chemistry.

Would my mental illness remove some culpability from the times I commit a sin of impurity? When I'm stable, I have no interest in sex. It's only when my mood swings or dips that I have a problem with it.

You should ask a priest.

Yes, mental conditions can greatly affect our minds. It is important though not to give in. Once you stop struggling, it is the same as if you willed it.

Pax et Bonum

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:40:PM »

You should ask a priest.

Yes, mental conditions can greatly affect our minds. It is important though not to give in. Once you stop struggling, it is the same as if you willed it.

I will definitely do that. I'm seeing my priest tomorrow anyway, so I'll see if I can go to Confession and ask him then.

Oh, for sure. Despite everything, I fight against it.

Thank you for helping. (:

Revixit

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:40:AM »

i sent you a PM (personal message) -- you should see it in "My Messages" at the top of the forums.
May the Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on us.

Vita sine libris mors est.

crusaderfortruth3372

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:01:AM »
I was diagnosed bipolar depression in 2002, I was also diagnosed with a general anxiety disorder just 2 years ago, so I feel your pain!!  It is an ongoing struggle that seems to never end.
As far as sins of the flesh or impurity being a mortal sin in this state I don't know; It could be a very debatable issue. However, at current I don't take any chances with my soul, so I confess it to the priest regardless. Perhaps I'm being too scrupulous, but it makes me feel better after I get out in confessional.
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits." -Archbishop Fulton Sheen

spasiisochrani

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:26:AM »
It is entirely possible that the disorder removes some culpability by mitigating the "full consent of the will" necessary for a mortal sin.  If I might make a suggestion, you might want to get out of the house and do something else when the temptation occurs.  Go for a walk.  Go for a jog.  Go to the all-night grocery store.  Develop outside interests so that you need not be alone so much. 

When I'm stable, I have no interest in sex.

As an aside, that might not be entirely normal either.  According to your profile, you are a 19-year-old woman.  Shouldn't you have some interest in sex?

glgas

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:48:AM »
When you are stable try to meditate on the value of the marital love, and that the sex is part of that. Do not develop a habit, that the desire for sex is result of the mode changes: that is Gods gift.

In other hand if you are single, consider any concupiscence temptation, regardless of your mode. Against the temptations the best remedy is the oral prayer, the Rosary, or the Office if you have access to it. If you fall go to confession as soon as possible. Probably in the status of swinging mode it is not mortal sin, but the confession brings actual grace, which may help with the mode swings too.

I understand that is is easier to say than do, but the path to the heaven is not easy for anyone.