Author Topic: Shogun 2: Total War demo  (Read 2257 times)

The_Harlequin_King

• Protector of the Internet!
Shogun 2: Total War demo
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:51:AM »
[   . [/   .

The Shogun 2: Total War demo is up for download, if you have the Steam client (which is free). Just go to this page here to get it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/34330/

(It's for PC only, by the way.)

I gave the demo a test drive and can happily say that it seems to have streamlined the Total War series in every way. If you don't know anything about the game, it's basically this:

You start off as a daimyo (a local warlord) in feudal Japan during the 1540's, and through a mix of diplomacy, administration and command on the battlefield, you conquer your neighbors with the hope of becoming Shogun, the military ruler of all Japan. Ever wanted to see what a feudal Japan under Christianity would look like? You can absolutely convert, and arm your samurai with muskets to boot.

I'm not sure how many FE'ers are really interested in this series, so rather than write a whole bunch of details no one will read, I'll just let anyone here ask questions about the game, and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Please read and subscribe to my blog: Modern Medievalism. Applying old-world solutions to new-world problems.

Praying for the dead is important. PM me if you need a cantor for the Requiem Mass of a deceased friend or family member. Have cassock and surplice, will travel. (Will also do weddings for a reasonable price.)

SirPounce

Re: Shogun 2: Total War demo
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:08:PM »
The game is awesome but I found the demo to be outrageous, as being the Western Army at Sekigahara is a jerk move. I feel its like being asked to be the French at Trafalgar, you know the battle just isn't going to end well for you.

I'm pretty much addicted to the Total War series though, I love the games. I enjoyed Empires/Napoleon but they weren't quite as addicting as Medieval 2 was for me. In Empires/Napoleon it was all about the professional armies and I actually care about my professional soldiers, so it led to a very conservative play style from me. I'm thrilled for Shogun 2 because I can go back to being the blood thirsty Dark Lord who conquers through sheer malice and the will to dominate all life. Throwing masses of peasant hordes at my enemies before sending in the real soldiers has also been a personal favorite of mine, because really, who cares how many of the red shirts die? My Medievalist friends found my M2TW style a little horrific because apparently there's no honor in peasant militias. Whatever.

The_Harlequin_King

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:19:AM »
I'm thrilled for Shogun 2 because I can go back to being the blood thirsty Dark Lord who conquers through sheer malice and the will to dominate all life. Throwing masses of peasant hordes at my enemies before sending in the real soldiers has also been a personal favorite of mine, because really, who cares how many of the red shirts die? My Medievalist friends found my M2TW style a little horrific because apparently there's no honor in peasant militias. Whatever.

Ah, uhh, well, at face value, this comment would seem to validate some of the arguments this guy has been spamming on.

But yes, the historical battle was frustrating. I still haven't won it. The campaign tutorial was pretty easy, though.

On a side note, I finally finished all the Song of Ice and Fire books out so far, so I get your screen name reference now... which is also referenced in Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, as I mentioned some time ago. I made a separate post about the Dragon Age II demo here, which came out the same day.
Please read and subscribe to my blog: Modern Medievalism. Applying old-world solutions to new-world problems.

Praying for the dead is important. PM me if you need a cantor for the Requiem Mass of a deceased friend or family member. Have cassock and surplice, will travel. (Will also do weddings for a reasonable price.)

Joshua

• The Gunslinger
  • ZELVS DOMVS TVÆ COMEDIT ME
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:43:PM »
*sigh* ... I wish my humble laptop could handle these computer games. It strains just with these demos. I have the Medieval 2 demo and I love it but, alas, it's as close as I'll come until I am able to procure a superior piece of hardware.  :(

Would you please spare an AVE for my deceased Aunt Elizabeth who left us on July 16th 2010? May God reward you.

"Know this: it is by very little breaches of regularity that the devil succeeds in introducing the greatest abuses. May you never end up saying: 'This is nothing, this is an exaggeration' ... I would give up my life a thousand times, not only for each of the truths of Sacred Scripture, but even more for the least of the rubrics and ceremonies of the Catholic Church."
+ St. Therese of Avila +

"The person who does not become irate when he has cause to be sins. For an unreasonable patience is the hotbed of many vices.
+ St. John Chrysostom

The_Harlequin_King

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 06:18:PM »
*sigh* ... I wish my humble laptop could handle these computer games. It strains just with these demos. I have the Medieval 2 demo and I love it but, alas, it's as close as I'll come until I am able to procure a superior piece of hardware.  :(

I'm building a gaming rig out of parts I no longer use. This PC will still be able to play all modern games at very high settings with 8x antialiasing and all features. If no one in my schola buys it, I'll offer it for sale to forum members. I'll need to figure out a price, but it'll be much cheaper than buying one from elsewhere, that's for sure.

Gman

• bangarang
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:43:AM »
How did it streamline the TW series in every way?
My Mother, my trust!

Joshua

• The Gunslinger
  • ZELVS DOMVS TVÆ COMEDIT ME
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 02:51:PM »

I'm building a gaming rig out of parts I no longer use. This PC will still be able to play all modern games at very high settings with 8x antialiasing and all features. If no one in my schola buys it, I'll offer it for sale to forum members. I'll need to figure out a price, but it'll be much cheaper than buying one from elsewhere, that's for sure.

Cool, HK. Let me know when its available!  :)

Would you please spare an AVE for my deceased Aunt Elizabeth who left us on July 16th 2010? May God reward you.

"Know this: it is by very little breaches of regularity that the devil succeeds in introducing the greatest abuses. May you never end up saying: 'This is nothing, this is an exaggeration' ... I would give up my life a thousand times, not only for each of the truths of Sacred Scripture, but even more for the least of the rubrics and ceremonies of the Catholic Church."
+ St. Therese of Avila +

"The person who does not become irate when he has cause to be sins. For an unreasonable patience is the hotbed of many vices.
+ St. John Chrysostom

3Sanctus

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 03:45:PM »

[/quote

Let me know if you offer it on here, I might be interested in getting that from you.   :)
Ora pro nobis, Sancta Mater Dei.

"Amen, amen I say to you, before Abraham was made, I AM."  -Our Lord

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."  -St. Basil the Great, Letter 203

The_Harlequin_King

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:17:PM »
How did it streamline the TW series in every way?

In the campaign map mode:

-The map can now be rotated 360 degrees. When two armies clash on the map, the camera nicely zooms in on their avatars.

-Your advisor now has a 3-D portrait. So do all unit leaders, for that matter.

-The fog of war is represented in a 2-D painted map style. I consider this as finally uniting the styles of the old 2-D games (Shogun 1 and Medieval 1) with the 3-D titles from Rome and beyond.

-Right-clicking on any unit or building loads up the Total War Encyclopedia, which conveniently puts all of the descriptions for everything together.

-Family trees are back. I hated how this was removed in Empire. You no longer had the sense of continuing a dynasty of playable characters through the centuries, and you couldn't use your ruler as a general. This all returns.

On the battle mode:

-Units can be assigned to groups, like in a real-time strategy game (like StarCraft).

-Groups can be permanently assigned to various mass formations.

SirPounce

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 07:07:AM »

Ah, uhh, well, at face value, this comment would seem to validate some of the arguments this guy has been spamming on.

But yes, the historical battle was frustrating. I still haven't won it. The campaign tutorial was pretty easy, though.

On a side note, I finally finished all the Song of Ice and Fire books out so far, so I get your screen name reference now... which is also referenced in Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, as I mentioned some time ago. I made a separate post about the Dragon Age II demo here, which came out the same day.

Oops, my bad, face value isn't everything and I wrote it after losing -again- at Sekigahara. It's more that my strategies developed out of my general feeling that castles in Medieval 2 were the worst except in a few strategic spots (there were maybe....4 territories I would consider turning into a castle). The problem was always money, castles didn't do it for me and their defensive value eroded quickly as you expanded your borders. Cities have the free upkeep, they were money machines, they never lost their value, and some of the best units in the late game came from cities (Scots Guards, Sword and Buckler Militia, Musketeers etc)

Almost all of my friends play TW and tended to have one primary force full of expensive castle troops but I preferred fielding 3-4 full banners of militia with the trade off being that casualties ran really high because there's really nothing spear militia can do against dismounted knights. It led to a slight difference in the gaming experience since they would feel that one army was "theirs" since it stuck with them through the whole campaign whereas my units were constantly either destroyed, disbanded, reorganized, etc. One friend of mine had a 10% acceptable casualty threshold, the battle was a failure for him if he reached more than 10%. Against that sort of backdrop, thats how I got my "Dark Lord" style of play, since they were just constantly stunned at how bloody it could be for me but it was just a logical consequence of showing up with militia to a party for knights.

-Family trees are back. I hated how this was removed in Empire. You no longer had the sense of continuing a dynasty of playable characters through the centuries, and you couldn't use your ruler as a general. This all returns.

On the battle mode:

-Units can be assigned to groups, like in a real-time strategy game (like StarCraft).

-Groups can be permanently assigned to various mass formations.

Well you've been able to assign them to groups for a few games and at least since Rome (I think), been able to put them in formations, except now they have pretty names. I never liked the formations though, they always tended to be narrow but deep where the AI would almost always form up into wide and shallow formations.

I'm also thrilled at the return of the family tree as well, especially the ability to grant offices to family members and the vulnerability of generals to bribes. Since they've improved the aggressiveness of the AI when it comes to agents over the past couple of games, I hope they struck a balance between Rome's bribing (you didn't need to garrison italy with anything more than a diplomat in a city sometimes) and Medieval 2's bribing (62,000 just to disband a force you could annihilate with 3000 worth of knights).

Did you find the enemy agents particularly aggressive on the campaign? It was like a flashback to Medieval 2 watching some enemy merchant annihilate my whole merchant force.

On the campaign map, I think the best streamlining they did was putting province developments under the main city. When they were making Empires one of the features they advertised was "develop straight from the map." That turned out to be a huge nightmare for me, since I would have to spend agonizing time scrolling through the villages.

Returning the recruitment of agents is also a huge plus, since it was frustrating in Empires to have a Gentleman appear in the backwaters of Russia 10 turns away from...well anything.

How do you feel about the new art style and interface on the campaign map? I think its very impressive and beautiful, but in terms of being a game interface the icons run a little small for me and its not readily apparent what it is I'm building sometimes.