Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
July 24, 2014, 11:37:PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: Gold walks into a bar. The bartender yells "AU! Get out!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fasting on the Annunciation?  (Read 2481 times)
MichaelNZ

« on: March 23, 2011, 08:21:PM »

I know we're only bound to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, but I'm following the more traditional fasting rules before they were changed.

Since the Annunciation is a first class feast, would traditional laws require fasting (and abstinence, seeing as it's a Friday this year) on this day or not?
Tim
Tim

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:43:PM »

My Seraphim Calendar has fast and abstinence.

tim
Resurrexi

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:02:PM »

I know we're only bound to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, but I'm following the more traditional fasting rules before they were changed.

Since the Annunciation is a first class feast, would traditional laws require fasting (and abstinence, seeing as it's a Friday this year) on this day or not?

If I recall correctly, in the early 20th century one would have had to fast on the Annunciation.

Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur,
Omnia mors perimit et nulli miseretur.
Ad mortem festinamus; peccare desistamus.
HuskerTom

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 01:19:AM »

One of our FSSP priests told us that abstinence was not required on the Annunciation, but that could be just because he's coming over for breakfast that morning.  My wife makes an unbelievable breakfast casserole.   ;)

"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent." -- St. John of the Cross
tradne4163
Gold Fish
Personality type: ADHD poster child... hey, look at that kitty!

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 01:35:AM »

From what I understand, only a Holy Day of Obligation could  release one from the Lenten Fast back in the day. Ultimately, it's up to you.

There's no such thing as "same sex marriage." Marriage is between one man and one woman. Period.

We are what you once were.
We believe what you once believed.
We worship as you once worshipped.
If you were right then, we are right now.
If we are wrong now, you were wrong then.

There is nothing more necessary to the survival of the Church than the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass; to hide it from sight is to shake the foundations of the Church. The whole Christian, religious, priestly life rests on the Cross, on the Holy Sacrifice of the Cross renewed on the altar. --- Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre

I beg you to pray for priests, most especially those on the road to Hell. They do not enter there alone, but with thousands of others that have followed them.

MichaelNZ

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:54:AM »

My prayer book from 1964 says that if a Holyday of Obligation or St. Patrick's Day falls during Lent, there is no fast. There are only two Holydays of Obligation in New Zealand (Christmas Day and the Assumption) and neither of them fall during Lent. So I guess I'll be fasting and abstaining tomorrow.
SaintSebastian
E chiamamulu paisanu!

Personality type: phlegmatic

Primu a Diu e Sammastianu!

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:06:AM »

Under the current law a Solemnity, like the Annunciation, exempts from Friday abstinence, even on Lenten Fridays. It doesn't matter if it's a day of obligation or not, just if it is a Solemnity.

Feasts of the equivalent rank under the 1917 Code exempted from Friday abstinence, except for Lenten Fridays.

In regards to St. Patrick's day, I think in certain places there was an indult given by Pius XII exempting one from Lenten fast and abstinence.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:08:AM by SaintSebastian » Logged

MichaelNZ

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:30:AM »

Under the current law a Solemnity, like the Annunciation, exempts from Friday abstinence, even on Lenten Fridays. It doesn't matter if it's a day of obligation or not, just if it is a Solemnity.

Feasts of the equivalent rank under the 1917 Code exempted from Friday abstinence, except for Lenten Fridays.

My 1964 prayer book specifically says that if St. Patrick's Day falls on a fast day then there is no abstinence. That must have been the law in New Zealand before the modern fasting rules were introduced.

What about fasting under the 1917 Code? Do feasts of the equivalent rank (Double of the 1st Class) exempt from the Lenten fast? I don't have a problem with eating fish and chips for dinner tomorrow but I'd like to know if the old rules oblige me to fast or not on this day (which would also mean I can have the things I'm giving up for Lent)? It'd be good if I didn't have to fast as then I could have a proper lunch.

By the way, are chicken or beef flavoured noodles allowed on days of abstinence? I know they don't have any flesh meat in them, but are flavourings forbidden or not?

In regards to St. Patrick's day, I think in certain places there was an indult given by Pius XII exempting one from Lenten fast and abstinence.

My 1964 prayer book specifically says that if St. Patrick's Day falls on a fast day then there is no fast. That must have been the law in New Zealand before the modern fasting rules were introduced. I didn't fast this year on St. Patrick's Day.
SaintSebastian
E chiamamulu paisanu!

Personality type: phlegmatic

Primu a Diu e Sammastianu!

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:43:AM »

Under current law, there is no required abstinence this year for the Annunciation. If a solemnity falls on a day of fast or abstinence, the solementity takes precence.

This was what the 1917 code said:

1252.4.  On Sundays or feasts of precept, the law of abstinence or of abstinence and fast or a fast only ceases, except during Lent, nor is the vigil anticipated; likewise it ceases on Holy Saturday afternoon.

cunctas_haereses

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 01:33:PM »

Under current law, there is no required abstinence this year for the Annunciation.

No surprise there.

Heaven is a REWARD, not a RIGHT.

Every truly pagan society has, at it's core, some form of human sacrifice. In today's world, it's abortion.
Pages: [1] 2

Jump to: