Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
April 19, 2014, 08:31:AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: So, Pavlov's sitting in a bar enjoying a pint. The phone rings. He jumps up and says, "Dang! I forgot to feed the dog!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Poll
Question: Just for fun: do you think we'll finish Scanlon Latin before the Baronius Breviary ships?
Yes, we'll be able to finish Scanlon before Baronius ships their Breviary - 13 (86.7%)
No, I think Baronius will ship their Breviary before the end of 2011 - 2 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Working through Scanlon Latin  (Read 10636 times)
paderau

Personality type: INTP, on Prozac

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 11:29:AM »

@ Bak... I woke up to your post, and what a great waking up! But to Baronius, in regards to "beating us," I say... bring it on!!  Smile

No... I'm very happy for Baronius that their project is finally coming to fruition, and I for one accept their profuse apologies. I'm not a big fan of the abbreviated '62 Office, preferring the fuller divino afflatu. But I will probably get it anyway. I must say that the inheritance of my mother's crusty ole St Andrew's missal was and still is instrumental in my conversion/daily conversion, and I would not be writing this post had I never laid hands on it. That being the case, what better gift to introduce my little girl to our faith and one day leave to her than Baronius's breviary?

Scanlon? Plodding on!

-paddy

Fish are friends, not food... 'cept on Fridays
Bakuryokuso
Eh

The gentleman in question

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 08:00:PM »

yeah it'd be amazing if the divino afflatu would regain some sort of official liturgical status in our lifetimes. the way Bugnini and co. chopped up 1962 Matins is a little ridiculous.

we invest for the next generation of wee girls and boys!

my 7 yr old is already fascinated by my Clementine Vulgate // Douay-Rheims side-by-side Bible andlikes to read the Latin aloud from it

"I suppose the greatest reform of our time was that carried out by St Pius X: surpassing anything, however needed, that the Council will achieve." -- JRR Tolkien, letter to his son Michael, 1 November 1963
Christus Imperat

Personality type: Sanguine Phlegmatic

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 10:08:AM »

yeah it'd be amazing if the divino afflatu would regain some sort of official liturgical status in our lifetimes. the way Bugnini and co. chopped up 1962 Matins is a little ridiculous.

we invest for the next generation of wee girls and boys!

my 7 yr old is already fascinated by my Clementine Vulgate // Douay-Rheims side-by-side Bible andlikes to read the Latin aloud from it

That's awesome.  Get those youngins reading Latin early.  It will give them the opportunity to become better Latinists than any of those who began later.

The greatest of all misfortunes is never to have known Jesus Christ: yet such a state is free from the sin of obstinancy and ingratitude. But first to have known Him, and afterwards to deny or forget Him, is a crime so foul and so insane that it seems impossible for any man to be guilty of it. For Christ is the fountain-head of all good.  --- Leo XIII, Tametsi
paderau

Personality type: INTP, on Prozac

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 11:24:PM »

Reading through Britt's introduction in his Dictionary of the Psalter (and not quite understanding all of it, of course, cause I don't know the Latin yet, or even what the heck all those grammatical terms mean), I'm left wondering that since the Latin of the (Gallican) psalter is evidently different than the Latin of the other parts of the breviary, Mass, and Ecclesiastical Latin in general, how special of a "problem" does this pose for those of us just learning, and wanting to learn the Gallican psalter in particular? Will we, upon completion of Scanlon/Collins, be able to understand the peculiarity of that translation of the psalter, or will Britt's (apparently thorough) explanation alone suffice in aiding us in understanding it the way we ought? Should we just not worry about it at this point?

Fish are friends, not food... 'cept on Fridays
deus_lo_vult

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 08:22:AM »

If you look at the Scanlon book it is specifically designed for reading of the missal and breviary. I would like to note as well that Collins places a greater focus on post concilliar texts, therefore not focused on the missal and breviary in which we are interested. There is nothing incredibly different between the Gallican latin and Ecclesiastical latin.

Prie dieu
Blue Fish

Formerly known as City Smurf

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 10:59:AM »

Is it too late to join in?

I have a priestly-benefactor who has been a great friend to me over the past few months especially with discussing my vocation with.  He's also rather forceful that I master Latin even if it kills me.  And he means master it to a degree that I can sit down at the dinner table and have a normal every day chat or a theological debate with perfect fluency.  To this end he mailed me over the Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae of Familiae Sancti Hieronymi that some may have heard of to learn to speak the language.

I met him for lunch yesterday and he had another gift for me.  Scanlon and Scanlon's Latin Grammar and Second Latin as well as a great book called "English Grammar for Students of Latin".  Oh not to mention that he made a purchase in the book store we took a browse in.  I wasn't paying attention to said purchase.  As he is about to run catch his train he throws the bag at me and runs away shouting "repetitio est mater studiorum!".  501 Latin Verbs :D.

So yes, too late to start or what?

Still Jesus cried, 'Forgive them, for they know not what they do, '
And still it rained the winter rain that drenched Him through and through;
The crowds went home and left the streets without a soul to see,
And Jesus crouched against a wall, and cried for Calvary.
CollegeCatholic
Banned for snarking meanness, disrespect toward the Holy Father, twisting what others say in order to mock them, etc.

Personality type: ISTJ

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 01:27:PM »

Is it too late to join in?

I have a priestly-benefactor who has been a great friend to me over the past few months especially with discussing my vocation with.  He's also rather forceful that I master Latin even if it kills me.  And he means master it to a degree that I can sit down at the dinner table and have a normal every day chat or a theological debate with perfect fluency.  To this end he mailed me over the Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae of Familiae Sancti Hieronymi that some may have heard of to learn to speak the language.

I met him for lunch yesterday and he had another gift for me.  Scanlon and Scanlon's Latin Grammar and Second Latin as well as a great book called "English Grammar for Students of Latin".  Oh not to mention that he made a purchase in the book store we took a browse in.  I wasn't paying attention to said purchase.  As he is about to run catch his train he throws the bag at me and runs away shouting "repetitio est mater studiorum!".  501 Latin Verbs :D.

So yes, too late to start or what?

Nope.  Just catch up!  Smile
Prie dieu
Blue Fish

Formerly known as City Smurf

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 02:41:PM »

Nope.  Just catch up!  Smile

Give me a couple of days and I'll be ahead of the lot of ye LOL.

Still Jesus cried, 'Forgive them, for they know not what they do, '
And still it rained the winter rain that drenched Him through and through;
The crowds went home and left the streets without a soul to see,
And Jesus crouched against a wall, and cried for Calvary.
Bakuryokuso
Eh

The gentleman in question

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 03:03:PM »

oh aye. have at 'er.

schtroumpfez le Latin!

"I suppose the greatest reform of our time was that carried out by St Pius X: surpassing anything, however needed, that the Council will achieve." -- JRR Tolkien, letter to his son Michael, 1 November 1963
Dust

Personality type: Yes

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 05:32:PM »

Oh dang, I got a different Latin textbook over Lent, then got bogged down at work and forgot about it...

"Remember, man, that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shall return."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Jump to: