Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
April 17, 2014, 06:29:AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: So, Pavlov's sitting in a bar enjoying a pint. The phone rings. He jumps up and says, "Dang! I forgot to feed the dog!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Scanlon Chapter 2 - Discussion Thread  (Read 1781 times)
Bakuryokuso
Eh

The gentleman in question

« on: April 11, 2011, 10:39:AM »

Hey guys and gals! Let's kick off chapter 2 discussion! Deo gratias!

"I suppose the greatest reform of our time was that carried out by St Pius X: surpassing anything, however needed, that the Council will achieve." -- JRR Tolkien, letter to his son Michael, 1 November 1963
paderau

Personality type: INTP, on Prozac

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:51:PM »

I seem to be having better luck with Collins' Primer. As has been mentioned by previous posters, I am beginning to see how Scanlon is not well suited for self-study (I'm currently in the middle of chapter 3 of Scanlon). Collins' explanatory notes and especially the vocabulary notes are wonderful... and seem to suit my own personal style of learning (to each his own, I suppose). Scanlon seems to omit too much of what I have thus far found in Collins to be quite helpful. What say ye?

Fish are friends, not food... 'cept on Fridays
Christus Imperat

Personality type: Sanguine Phlegmatic

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:37:PM »

The problem is, we will never go anywhere if we restart the group yet again.  Use either of them as suits you best.  You could use Scanlon as good review if you go through another grammar first.

The greatest of all misfortunes is never to have known Jesus Christ: yet such a state is free from the sin of obstinancy and ingratitude. But first to have known Him, and afterwards to deny or forget Him, is a crime so foul and so insane that it seems impossible for any man to be guilty of it. For Christ is the fountain-head of all good.  --- Leo XIII, Tametsi
Bakuryokuso
Eh

The gentleman in question

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:17:PM »

My approach is to use them concurrently Smile

"I suppose the greatest reform of our time was that carried out by St Pius X: surpassing anything, however needed, that the Council will achieve." -- JRR Tolkien, letter to his son Michael, 1 November 1963
JayneK
Gold Fish
Personality type: INTJ

with my grandsons

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 01:53:PM »

I posted my answers a week late, but I figured it was worth it since nobody else seemed to have.  Perhaps people could look at my answers and if there is something they don't understand, ask questions about it.  That might be easier than doing the whole thing.

ADORABLE Saviour, consider my many wants, and grant me those graces which Thou knowest I stand in need of to do Thy will in all things.

Pages: [1]

Jump to: