Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
July 24, 2014, 12:57:PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: Gold walks into a bar. The bartender yells "AU! Get out!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Declension (we have it in English!)  (Read 1920 times)
Christus Imperat

Personality type: Sanguine Phlegmatic

« on: April 15, 2011, 09:41:AM »

Scanlon opens with the first three declensions in three chapters.  This is somewhat brutal for the Latin newbie, so I thought I would open a thread specifically on declension for anyone with questions. 

You may not have realized this, but English (and the other modern European languages that I am aware of) has declension in its pronouns.  However, whereas Latin has five basic cases, English has three: subjective, possessive, and objective.
Exempli gratia

Subjective     Possessive     Objective

I                       My                      Me
You                 Your                   You
Thou                Thy/thine          Thee
He                   His                      Him
She                 Her                      Her
We                   Our                      Us
They                Their                   Them
Who                Whose                Whom

The greatest of all misfortunes is never to have known Jesus Christ: yet such a state is free from the sin of obstinancy and ingratitude. But first to have known Him, and afterwards to deny or forget Him, is a crime so foul and so insane that it seems impossible for any man to be guilty of it. For Christ is the fountain-head of all good.  --- Leo XIII, Tametsi
randomtradguy
A Naomh Seosamh, guí orainn.

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 10:39:AM »

I didn't use Scanlon to learn Latin, but I prefer the nom-acc-gen-dat-abl order. (if they use that order, good.)
Christus Imperat

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 11:45:AM »

I didn't use Scanlon to learn Latin, but I prefer the nom-acc-gen-dat-abl order. (if they use that order, good.)

Scanlon uses the nom-gen-dat-acc-abl order.  The order you mention is the British school method and it makes a lot more sense.  Every grammar has its pros and cons.

The greatest of all misfortunes is never to have known Jesus Christ: yet such a state is free from the sin of obstinancy and ingratitude. But first to have known Him, and afterwards to deny or forget Him, is a crime so foul and so insane that it seems impossible for any man to be guilty of it. For Christ is the fountain-head of all good.  --- Leo XIII, Tametsi
St. Drogo

—Dieu des humbles, sauvez cet enfant de colère!

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 04:21:PM »

I prefer that ordering too randomtradguy. Unfortunately nom-gen-dat-acc-abl is too burned into my brain now to change. I even use nom-gen-dat-acc for german nouns.
Christus Imperat

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 12:03:PM »

I prefer that ordering too randomtradguy. Unfortunately nom-gen-dat-acc-abl is too burned into my brain now to change. I even use nom-gen-dat-acc for german nouns.

Same here.  The first Greek grammar I used also had the nom-gen-dat-acc order.  I have a modern Greek grammar that is nom-acc-gen and when I copy paradigms I have to change the order.  The other one is too habitual, even if less intuitive.

Pages: [1]

Jump to: