Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
April 23, 2014, 08:38:AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: So, Pavlov's sitting in a bar enjoying a pint. The phone rings. He jumps up and says, "Dang! I forgot to feed the dog!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Women in the sanctuary and such.  (Read 1433 times)
Spero

Personality type: mostly melancholic with a side order of sanguine

« on: June 07, 2011, 03:11:AM »

I recently served a Mass and had to stop a woman coming in to the sanctuary to distribute communion. I explained that it was not permissible for lay people to distribute at this Mass.

The woman was not impressed and marched off in to the sacristy. I tried to explain to her after Mass but she argued that she had been given permission from the church to act as a minister.

I am looking for some documents or good articles that argue against women or lay people distributing communion  and even why no women can be a priest. I know the reasons but would like some articles I could print and give to these people so that they can read as most think we just make them up.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

God bless
Jacafamala
My mother, my confidence.
Gold Fish
Personality type: Auntie Mama

Discorso della luna.

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 03:16:AM »

It seems to me like that'd be the pastor's job to correct her.

rosamysticamantilla.com

Above all things, preserve constant charity among yourselves; charity draws the veil over a multitude of sins. -1 Peter
Raskolnikov

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 04:44:AM »

Did this occur in a NO Mass or at a TLM?
Someone1776
"The Derailer"

Neo-Candylander

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 04:56:AM »

The army of Eucharistic ministers at the Novus Ordo is quite annoying especially as they are really not needed at most masses. This said women are allowed to distribute communion at the Novus Ordo.  The pertinent document is Immensae Caritatis (http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDWIMCAR.htm).  It states that extraordinary Eucharistic ministers should only be used "because of a great crowd of people or some disability of the celebrant." The normal extraordinary minister of the Eucharist is an installed acolyte, a ministry only open to men. However, few churches have acolytes now adays as Paul VI suppressed minor orders. After acolyte the order that should be followed in assigning Eucharistic ministers is "major seminarian, man religious, woman religious, catechist, one of the faithful man or woman." 

Don't you guys plan out who will be assisting the mass before hand?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:28:AM by Someone1776 » Logged

"Christianity lies in achieving greatness in the face of the world's hatred." - Saint Ignatius of Antioch
Teresia

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 05:21:AM »

It seems to me like that would be the pastor's job to correct her.
Agree; I think it is the priest's job to do the explaining, but of course, you can give her some extra info. Also, make sure it is the TLM priest that does the explaining. If she said that she has been assigned by the parish to be communion minister, there is no way of knowing what the "parish priest" will say

"THOU HAST MADE US FOR THYSELF, O LORD, AND OUR HEARTS WILL ALWAYS BE RESTLESS UNTIL THEY REST IN THEE" - St Augustine

The happiness of every man, woman and child in the whole world all put together would not equal a split second of the happiness that shall be yours in heaven - St Augustine

OCLittleFlower
Gold Fish
Personality type: sanguine

Celebrating two years of wedded bliss.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 05:32:AM »

Even when I went to the NO, it was decided beforehand who would be an EMHC at each Mass.  People didn't just walk up and do it -- it was something you took a class for and there was a schedule and such.

Is this not the case elsewhere?

@~~~~~
Mrs. Deusdark

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that they can't be verified -- Abraham Lincoln

--click on us to level us up.  thanks--

Fontevrault
Red Fish

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 06:17:AM »

Even when I went to the NO, it was decided beforehand who would be an EMHC at each Mass.  People didn't just walk up and do it -- it was something you took a class for and there was a schedule and such.

[/quote

That's been my experience as well.

My ipad keyboard hates me.  Please forgive the typos; they are unintentional.

http://americanbento-recipes.blogspot.com/
MaidenofGod

Personality type: Melancholic/Phlegmatic Temperament. ISTJ/INFJ

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 06:19:AM »

Not always. I've been to NO masses where the priest would, before recieving communion himself, make a motion to indicate that an extra EMHC was needed. Someone would just casually walk up to the alter and help to distribute communion (!!). It was just assumed that they had done the training and such, but you really couldn't be sure.
Spero

Personality type: mostly melancholic with a side order of sanguine

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:32:AM »

This was the Traditional Latin Mass.

We were asked to offer a Mass in a NO church by a large group that had requested it. We traveled over 3 hrs to the church. The parish priest was absent but a stand in priest greeted us and basically left us to it.

There was over 300 faithful that had come for this Mass and the priest announced that only Catholics in good standing may receive communion and it must be on the tongue and kneeling if possible.

As far as we were concerned, we were the only ones in the sanctuary and nothing was mentioned about an EMHC coming.

The MC signaled to me to confront her as I had not seen her behind me. I politely asked her what she was doing and she said she was a Eucharistic Minister. So I told her "No, you are not; we have a priest and he will distribute but thank you for offering" and then blocked her access to the sanctuary.

She said that a priest told her to go and help us and was very angry because I refused to allow her to carry out her duty.

In future we will contact the priest of the parish and make it clear that no women are allowed in the sanctuary and that no person is permitted to distribute Holy Communion unless they have received major orders. We will also announce it before or after the homily.

We tried to explain after Mass why she could not distribute but she was not listening as she was too angry.

So I thought that if I could print some documents that explain why lay people can not touch the Sacred Species and even why women can not enter the sanctuary; then I could give it to people to read at their own leisure.

There was an article some one posted here that explained the union between the priest and the church was akin to the union between man and woman, but I can not find it.

Pax
Someone1776
"The Derailer"

Neo-Candylander

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 10:11:AM »

This was the Traditional Latin Mass.

We were asked to offer a Mass in a NO church by a large group that had requested it. We traveled over 3 hrs to the church. The parish priest was absent but a stand in priest greeted us and basically left us to it.

There was over 300 faithful that had come for this Mass and the priest announced that only Catholics in good standing may receive communion and it must be on the tongue and kneeling if possible.

As far as we were concerned, we were the only ones in the sanctuary and nothing was mentioned about an EMHC coming.

The MC signaled to me to confront her as I had not seen her behind me. I politely asked her what she was doing and she said she was a Eucharistic Minister. So I told her "No, you are not; we have a priest and he will distribute but thank you for offering" and then blocked her access to the sanctuary.

She said that a priest told her to go and help us and was very angry because I refused to allow her to carry out her duty. 

In future we will contact the priest of the parish and make it clear that no women are allowed in the sanctuary and that no person is permitted to distribute Holy Communion unless they have received major orders. We will also announce it before or after the homily.

We tried to explain after Mass why she could not distribute but she was not listening as she was too angry.

So I thought that if I could print some documents that explain why lay people can not touch the Sacred Species and even why women can not enter the sanctuary; then I could give it to people to read at their own leisure.

There was an article some one posted here that explained the union between the priest and the church was akin to the union between man and woman, but I can not find it.

Pax

You could just refer to Universae Ecclesiae which states "Furthermore, by virtue of its character of special law, within its own area, the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum derogates from those provisions of law, connected with the sacred Rites, promulgated from 1962 onwards and incompatible with the rubrics of the liturgical books in effect in 1962."  Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharistic did not exist in 1962. 

I wouldn't mention anything about women in particular as male Eucharistic ministers are forbidden as well.  Why get into an argument that is moot?  And I don't think women are forbidden from entering the sanctuary per se, its just that there is seldom a reason for a woman to be in the sanctuary according to the old rubrics.  But, for example during a nuptial mass a bride may sit in the sanctuary. 

I would also give this woman a little charity.  This was probably a very alien mass to her and she did not understand that the traditional Latin mass follows separate rubrics.  I think if you place yourself in her position you might understand her shock and anger, even if we can't condone it. 

I think its a great thing you are doing to help spread the Latin mass!  Let's hope that this person went home and began to do research and this led her to understand what happened. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:24:AM by Someone1776 » Logged

"Christianity lies in achieving greatness in the face of the world's hatred." - Saint Ignatius of Antioch
Pages: [1] 2 3

Jump to: