Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
April 24, 2014, 03:42:PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: So, Pavlov's sitting in a bar enjoying a pint. The phone rings. He jumps up and says, "Dang! I forgot to feed the dog!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hairshirts, cilices, etc.  (Read 1975 times)
Madeformv
Connecticut Preppy W.A.S.C.

Personality type: Sanguine all the way!

« on: July 10, 2011, 09:43:PM »

Just curious, does anyone here wear a cilice or hairshirt to aid their Catholic devotional life? If so, when/how/why do you? Thanks and God bless!

"A day will come when the civilized world will deny its God, when the
Church will doubt as Peter doubted. She will be tempted to believe that
man has become God, that His Son is merely a symbol, a philosophy
held by so many others, and in the churches Christians will search in
vain for the red lamp where God awaits them, like Magdalen weeping
before the empty tomb, "Where have they taken HIM?"
-Pius XII
Someone1776
"The Derailer"

Neo-Candylander

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:44:PM »

The cilice is typically worn on the leg for a few hours. It doesn't really cause pain but just discomfort.  It's popular among Opus Dei numeries. 

No, I don't use it.  But, it is traditional. 

"Christianity lies in achieving greatness in the face of the world's hatred." - Saint Ignatius of Antioch
Madeformv
Connecticut Preppy W.A.S.C.

Personality type: Sanguine all the way!

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:47:PM »

Thanks, yeah I am very eager to meet someone who does indeed use one!

"A day will come when the civilized world will deny its God, when the
Church will doubt as Peter doubted. She will be tempted to believe that
man has become God, that His Son is merely a symbol, a philosophy
held by so many others, and in the churches Christians will search in
vain for the red lamp where God awaits them, like Magdalen weeping
before the empty tomb, "Where have they taken HIM?"
-Pius XII
NECatholic

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 04:57:AM »

Those who wear the discipline do not normally reveal this to anyone - especially the general public on an internet forum like FE.  It's a personal devotion / discipline between the penitent and God only.  There is a message board on a popular cilice website http://www.cilice.co.uk/  but this is an anonymous site among those who practice the discipline.  Others are usually not privy to who practices it and it's very private.

There are stories of saints who died and while the body was washed and prepared for burial, a cilce or hairshirt was found on them.  I believe St. Thomas Aquinas was one saint who wore the discipline until death.   No one knew about this and the saint never spoke of it to anyone.  There is also a negative stigma attached to wearing the discipline especially in today's hedonistic world.  Unprovoked scorn and ridicule are not what many penitents want.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:12:AM by NECatholic » Logged
Raskolnikov

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:16:AM »

Thanks, yeah I am very eager to meet someone who does indeed use one!

Is there an Opus Dei church in your area? If you attend one of their monthly recollections you'll probably meet plenty of Opus Dei members who use traditional forms of physical mortification such as hairshirts and cilices.

Silouan

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:21:PM »

Are these things Catholics normally undertake with the guidance of a spiritual father? It seems to me these practices are fraught with spiritual dangers.

We will not remove the age-old landmarks which our fathers have set, but we shall keep the tradition we have received. For if we begin to erode the foundations of  the Church even a little, in no time at all the whole edifice will fall to the ground.

St John of Damascus
Someone1776
"The Derailer"

Neo-Candylander

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:25:PM »

Are these things Catholics normally undertake with the guidance of a spiritual father? It seems to me these practices are fraught with spiritual dangers.

The cilice just causes modest discomfort not profound pain.  But, yes its probably best to seek spiritual direction before wearing it.  Yet, many Saints, even those from the Eastern Church, have engaged in corporal mortification.   

Technically, fasting is a form of corporal mortification as well. 

"Christianity lies in achieving greatness in the face of the world's hatred." - Saint Ignatius of Antioch
Silouan

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:49:PM »

The cilice just causes modest discomfort not profound pain.  But, yes its probably best to seek spiritual direction before wearing it.  Yet, many Saints, even those from the Eastern Church, have engaged in corporal mortification.   

Technically, fasting is a form of corporal mortification as well. 

That's true, but at the same time they are very forceful in insisting that these things not be undertaken without experienced guidance. Prelest is very real and very dangerous both to soul and body. I'm just giving a very general warning. It is said he who has himself for a spiritual father has a fool. Undertaking these severe ascetical practices does not make one more or less holy. They are not for everyone. Just be careful and find someone with experience to guide you. 

We will not remove the age-old landmarks which our fathers have set, but we shall keep the tradition we have received. For if we begin to erode the foundations of  the Church even a little, in no time at all the whole edifice will fall to the ground.

St John of Damascus
Mithrandylan
Banned for promoting sedevacantism
Regular

Personality type: Melancholy- a point below phlegmatic

Divínum auxílium ✝ maneat semper nobíscum.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 01:29:PM »

Those who wear the discipline do not normally reveal this to anyone - especially the general public on an internet forum like FE.  It's a personal devotion / discipline between the penitent and God only.  There is a message board on a popular cilice website http://www.cilice.co.uk/  but this is an anonymous site among those who practice the discipline.  Others are usually not privy to who practices it and it's very private.

There are stories of saints who died and while the body was washed and prepared for burial, a cilce or hairshirt was found on them.  I believe St. Thomas Aquinas was one saint who wore the discipline until death.   No one knew about this and the saint never spoke of it to anyone.  There is also a negative stigma attached to wearing the discipline especially in today's hedonistic world.  Unprovoked scorn and ridicule are not what many penitents want.

I think its safe to assume for the most part that they don't want much attention of any kind at all.  Not from the world of men.
INPEFESS
Please remember me in your rosary intentions.
Member..

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 01:47:PM »

Just curious, does anyone here wear a cilice or hairshirt to aid their Catholic devotional life? If so, when/how/why do you? Thanks and God bless!

I own a hairshirt, but I do not use it, and I would probably not use it unless I received permission from my confessor.

I have left the forum because I do not believe I can continue to post here without giving scandal to Catholicism, especially traditional Catholicism, which this forum purports to represent. My presence here only lends credence to the immoral activity and ideas that this forum has come to (at the very least) tolerate, activity and ideas that have always and everywhere been condemned by the Church in principle, activity and ideas that, by their toleration on this forum, give the impression of being compatible with traditional Catholicism. I cannot participate in the forum until such a time as the scandal is removed.
Pages: [1] 2

Jump to: