Choose style:

Poll

What should we swap first? (Choose up to three options). Poll will run for 7 days.  BTW, it's not too late to sign up to join the swap group!

Store-bought Holy Card
5 (14.7%)
Homemade Holy Card
1 (2.9%)
Storebought Postcard - any theme
5 (14.7%)
Homemade Postcard with a specific theme
1 (2.9%)
Recipe and a handwritten note
1 (2.9%)
Thrift Store Item that costs no more than $10
5 (14.7%)
An original story (as short or as long as it has to be to be effective)
5 (14.7%)
Store-bought or homemade Christmas Ornament
2 (5.9%)
An MS Doc page of random whatever that you find funny
1 (2.9%)
A handmade Christmas card left blank so the recipient can use it
1 (2.9%)
The results of a random experiment:  go to a public place, hand someone a $5 bill and tell them that you think it might belong to them. Report results to swap partner.
1 (2.9%)
Like the above, but randomly pay for a stranger's lunch in a restaurant without their knowing. Watch to see what happens and report.
1 (2.9%)
Something Victorian to retro that is also "cool" and fun and would be enjoyed by most of either sex.
2 (5.9%)
A homemade memento mori card -- something that would cause the recipient to focus on mortality
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: November 02, 2011, 06:12:AM

Author Topic: Swap I: Choices  (Read 11727 times)

VoxClamantis

Swap I: Choices
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:56:AM »

OK, I have my computer (and some semblance of sanity)  back and want to re-announce and get going the Fish Eaters Swap-Bot group.  What's "Swap-Bot"? Glad you asked! The site describes its mission like this:

• Do you like sending and receiving snail mail? Do you like writing letters, making crafts, or putting together fun packages? You should try swapping! Swap-bot is a online service that organizes group swaps and a community of creative individuals. Swap-bot takes the hassle out of participating in group swaps by organizing all of the participant information and doing all of the partner assignments. On Swap-bot, you can host swaps, join swaps, and chat with other swappers from all over the world. Give it a try!

The only people who see your snail mail address are those who host swaps and whoever you get partnered with in a given swap. The Swap-Bot site keeps your stuff private and doesn't give your info to third parties.

OK, so that's the general idea. More particularly, FE's swap group's description goes like this:

• This group is for fans and friends of the Fish Eaters Catholic website.

So, what do we do? Well, it could be anything! We might swap postcards, holy cards, books, letters, note cards, riddles, puzzles, games, pictures, hand-crafted things, bookmarks, store-bought stuff, recipes, seasonal items, prayers, jewelry, strange thoughts, tiny treasures, things found in dollar stores or thrift stores, themed items (e.g., things that smell good, things that are red, things related to St. So-and-So, etc.). We can do off-the-wall stuff, like, for ex., picking names at random from the phone book and sending those total strangers a slew of very unexpected postcards with happy thoughts and good wishes, just to freak them out and make them feel good. Who knows? If anyone has any good ideas as to what to swap, post about it at the Fish Eaters forum, in the pinned thread at the Pig Roast sub-forum.

Please, only sign up for a particular swap if you're serious about participating. Those who sign up for a swap and fail to follow through could well lose their group membership!

Come on, let's have some fun!

Just register at the Swap-Bot website and then go the FE's swapbot pageand join the group (both linked to above) to get in on this. I kinda like the idea of doing a group swap -- and then doing that "finding a random person" and mailing then nice things out of the blue idea. That sounds so fun!

(To all who signed up a while ago when I first set this up, I apologize for the delay in getting things going. Things got pretty hectic for me, but I still want to do this and hope you all do, too!)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:40:PM by Vox Clamantis »

m.PR

Re: Fisheaters Swap
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:11:PM »
How come nobody has replied to this?

Maybe nobody has noticed it because it replaced a previous sticky and everyone ignores those.

I think this sounds great.

LuminousPax

• Blonde, old and slow... be gentle and have mercy please. (:
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:17:PM »
Agree.  I saw this on the Fishie FB page yesterday.  This is a great way to build community and bring a smile to another.

... tis cool.
You go to pray: to become a bonfire, a living flame, giving heat and light.
-St. Jose Escriva De Belaguer

... you should know that there is present with you the angel whom God has appointed for each man… This angel, who is sleepless and cannot be deceived, is always present with you; he sees all things and is not hindered by darkness. You should know, too, that with him is God.
-St. Anthony the Great

When you told me God was inside me, I thought of a pebble in a glass. When you told me it is more like the ocean is in a wave, I wept...

VoxClamantis

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:24:PM »
If this thread's stickiness is making it ignorable, then I'll unsticky it! Won't be too much fun if we only have a small handful of people doing it with us!

kayla_veronica

• Mrs. Mith
  • Stay with us, O Lord. (Luke 24:29)
    • Kayla Peterson Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 06:08:PM »
I’m game, sounds fun!
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Mithrandylan

• Banned for promoting sedevacantism
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ maneat semper nobíscum.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 06:09:PM »
I thought this was going to be like an internet swingers party

The Curt Jester

• Trad before the term "neo-trad" was invented
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 06:15:PM »
Can you swap booze? 
The one thing perfect about the human being is the brain.  Everyone knows that nothing could ever be wrong with it.

St. Gabriel Possenti, pray for us!
St. Adrian of Nicomedia, pray for us!
St. Hubert, pray for us!
St. Sebastian, pray for us!

kayla_veronica

• Mrs. Mith
  • Stay with us, O Lord. (Luke 24:29)
    • Kayla Peterson Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 06:17:PM »
Can you swap booze? 

is it legal to send booze in the mail? ???
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

The Curt Jester

• Trad before the term "neo-trad" was invented
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 06:37:PM »
Can you swap booze? 

is it legal to send booze in the mail? ???

You try it and then let me know.
The one thing perfect about the human being is the brain.  Everyone knows that nothing could ever be wrong with it.

St. Gabriel Possenti, pray for us!
St. Adrian of Nicomedia, pray for us!
St. Hubert, pray for us!
St. Sebastian, pray for us!

OCLittleFlower

• Gold Fish
  • Celebrating two years of wedded bliss.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:06:PM »
Signed up.

I can't wait to start swapping.  I'm always looking for excuses to papercraft for people.  :)
@~~~~~
Mrs. Deusdark

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that they can't be verified -- Abraham Lincoln

--click on us to level us up.  thanks--