Author Topic: Difference between judging and having an opinion  (Read 1933 times)

Pilgrim_here

Difference between judging and having an opinion
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:08:AM »
So I'm confused about this question and it's been bugging me for years.

What's the difference between setting myself up as a judge of my fellow man (i.e. condemned by scripture) and thinking that what someone is doing is wrong?

Is it just that the former involves thinking of yourself as better than that person?

P.S.  I hope this is in the right forum - seems like a theological question to me.............
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:13:AM by Pilgrim_here »

newyorkcatholic

• terrena deXXXXere
Re: Difference between judging and having an opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:06:PM »
So I'm confused about this question and it's been bugging me for years.

What's the difference between setting myself up as a judge of my fellow man (i.e. condemned by scripture) and thinking that what someone is doing is wrong?

Is it just that the former involves thinking of yourself as better than that person?

P.S.  I hope this is in the right forum - seems like a theological question to me.............

Here's my understanding.

We can judge basic outward actions.  This is pretty straightforward sometimes, but circumstances can get complex. But we have to.  What if you are a judge?  What if you are teaching your children right and wrong?  What if you are on a Church tribunal?

But we never judge someone's heart, whether they are in the state of grace, what their end shall be.  That is for God alone.
One human thought alone is worth more than the entire world, hence God alone is worthy of it. -- St. John of the Cross

Mithrandylan

• Banned for promoting sedevacantism
  • Regular
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ maneat semper nobíscum.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:PM »
One of the problems is that culture has a very poor understanding of what it means "to judge."  Essentially, if you point out anything unfavorable about anything or anyone you are judging them.

To judge is a very specific act.  We judge when we say someone is going to hell (but remember that describing a behavior as something that leads one to hell isn't judging) or that they are scum or make any personal evaluation of them as a person.

As far as their actions, those can and must be evaluated.

ResiduumRevertetur

• Gold Fish
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:11:PM »

But we never judge someone's heart, whether they are in the state of grace, what their end shall be.  That is for God alone.
I think this says it very well.
The name's Braintrust. Mr. Braintrust.

The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people. --Stephen, Braveheart
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Deus, tu conversus vivificabis nos, et plebs tua laetabitur in te.

Pilgrim_here

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 03:12:PM »
Got it - thanks for all the replies