Choose style:

Author Topic: Anybody Work With Fur?  (Read 1310 times)

Deidre

Anybody Work With Fur?
« on: December 31, 2011, 03:22:PM »
I've recently become interested in working with fur (making bears  :) ), but I've only used raccoon and some mink so far, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about a few other kinds.

1. Does rabbit really shed like crazy? I've really wanted to get some to use (it's super cheap!), but my uncle insists that I'll be brushing it off of all of my clothes FOREVER.  ???

2. Is muskrat soft, or coarse? Long? Thick? Nice undercoat?

I'm looking for something dense (or at least with a dense undercoat), not super short, and SOFT. Any recommendations?
“I will never abandon you, my child. My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God.”
-Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God."
- St. Jean-Baptiste Marie Vianney

ggreg

• Banned for being an ass and bringing up old things that need not be brought up, even after she was told not to
Re: Anybody Work With Fur?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:58:PM »
Seal is a very tough fur, does not shed at all.  Not sure how well it colours though.

What about faux fur?  Must be cheaper.

Deidre

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:48:AM »
Thanks for the feedback, ggreg.  :) Actually, I've found some nice fur that's super cheap! It's not in wearable condition, but suitable for my purposes. Most of the cost is in the shipping (from Canada). I went for sheared muskrat (incredibly soft), some rabbit (which hasn't shed so far), and some mouton (very soft, very dense, but also very short :( ). The only fake fur that I've found that doesn't feel like a Walmart stuffed animal is ridiculously expensive, so I figured I'd go for the real thing. ;)
“I will never abandon you, my child. My Immaculate Heart will be your refuge and the way that will lead you to God.”
-Our Lady of Fatima to Lucia

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God."
- St. Jean-Baptiste Marie Vianney

ggreg

• Banned for being an ass and bringing up old things that need not be brought up, even after she was told not to
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:07:PM »
How big are these bears?.  They must look kind of odd, made entirely of real fur.

Melanie01

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 02:21:AM »
Yeah!! I am a personal servant to the household lady.....MissDaisyMae.....she wears a mackeral tabby coat and has magnificent whiskers :LOL:

jonbhorton

• Can no longer participate here, ever.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:55:PM »
Contact your local taxidermists, they might have some scraps they could give you. Or maybe some smaller pieces you could buy that would free up space in their shops. They'd also have a better understanding on the wear and tear that certain types can take.

"It makes the consuls base: and my soul aches
To know, when two authorities are up,
Neither supreme, how soon confusion
May enter 'twixt the gap of both and take
The one by the other." - Coriolanus, Act 3, Scene 1
The Immaculata must be the Queen of all people. Whoever does not submit to her rule will perish.
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
"There is no greater enemy of the Immaculata and her Knighthood than today’s Ecumenism which every Knight must not only fight against, but also neutralize through diametrically opposed action and ultimately destroy"
(Saint Maximilian Maria Kolbe) ~ Entry of Diary dated April 23, 1933. Cited from The Immaculata Our Ideal, Father Karl Stehlin [Warsaw: Te Deum, 2005], p.37.

jonbhorton

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 03:56:PM »
Stupid internets and its double posting.
The Immaculata must be the Queen of all people. Whoever does not submit to her rule will perish.
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
"There is no greater enemy of the Immaculata and her Knighthood than today’s Ecumenism which every Knight must not only fight against, but also neutralize through diametrically opposed action and ultimately destroy"
(Saint Maximilian Maria Kolbe) ~ Entry of Diary dated April 23, 1933. Cited from The Immaculata Our Ideal, Father Karl Stehlin [Warsaw: Te Deum, 2005], p.37.

GottmitunsAlex

• "As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise. The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people." Pope St. Pius X
  • Hochmeister / Magister generalis
    • Priesterbruderschaft St. Pius X
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 11:16:PM »
I calling Peta.
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom Sunday Homily

jonbhorton

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:04:AM »
I'd definitely wear that dog. In fact, I'd adopt two puppies and monitor their diets for equal size, so I could make Pug boots. And then I'd walk my honey badger through Boulder, the Berkeley of Colorado, in the winter, wearing pug boots with rabbit trim, a cowboy hat, and 2 pairs of gloves. No one would say a dang thing.

And then I'd eat a steak that night. But it wouldn't be on a Friday. But you can best bet I'd definitely wear that ugly dog.

- St. Maximilian Kolbe

Arun

• He who fails to confront himself constantly fails to transcend his weaknesses.
  • It's the Skuxx Deluxe (TM)
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 05:15:AM »
PETA consider owning pets to be animal abuse (see Penn & Teller's "BS" episode on PETA) so how can I wear my dog if I can't have a dog? Any dog I wear wouldn't be able to be my dog - although I guess it could be my coat. I reckon dog would be better for leather than for fur though. And I'd sooner use my dog to run down some game that I can then tan the hide of to make a warm coat and have some food, rather than wear my dog. So does that make it okay?

I wonder where PETA stands on the whole Buffalo Bill thing, then, eh Clarice?

Deidre - have you considered trying feral goat hides? I'm serious - if you know somebody who kills 'em from time to time ask them to brain-tan it (all other methods are simply inferior - once you go brain you never go back again...) without stripping the hair off of it and then cure it gently with smoke (don't singe!). Take a really nice shampoo and conditioner and give it a really good long slow wash in a tub, then let it air dry. Make a bear. Thank me for telling you about how to make the best darned bear ever.

P.S. when you get to that last bit - you're welcome already :D
Quote from: Joseph Francis O'Neill
It is my solemn and firmly held belief that the Cristeros were an entirely unjustified group of egomaniacal sociopaths and that Mexico would be a far better place today had they simply purchased Xbox360 consoles and lived out their ridiculous fantasies via an imaginary fantasy gaming realm

Quote from: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Forget your lust for the rich man's gold/ All that you need, is in your soul/ And you can do this, oh baby, if you try/ All that I want for you my son/ Is to be satisfied

Quote from: Old Crow Medicine Show
All that we are is a picture in a mirror, with fancy shoes to grace our feet. All that there is, is a slow road to freedom; Heaven above and the devil beneath. We're all in this thing together, walking a line between faith and fear, this life won't last forever - when you cry I taste the salt in your tears.