Choose style:

Author Topic: Malachi Martin film from Causeway pictures coming soon (trailer)  (Read 2459 times)

Tim

Re: Malachi Martin film from Causeway pictures coming soon (trailer)
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 12:52:PM »
I stand corrected. Thanks Gerard.

tim

Gerard

• Banned for disrespecting the Holy Father, snarkiness, and rad-traddy negativism
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 01:16:PM »
Gerard,

Do you know when this year it will be released?

The youtube comments said it was for early 2013 even though the trailer says 2012.

Gerard

• Banned for disrespecting the Holy Father, snarkiness, and rad-traddy negativism
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 01:19:PM »
I stand corrected. Thanks Gerard.

tim

We'll just have to make sure that the makers of the film fix that incorrect date. They spelled Assyriology wrong as well.  Hope it's still in the "rough" stage if two typos (one very misleading one ) are in the trailer. 

DrBombay

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 01:23:PM »
Was Fr. Martin a Monsignor?  At 2:40 in the video he looks like he's wearing a monsignor's cassock.  But its a b&w pic so maybe the piping is just a lighter shade of black.

MMMMMMM

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 02:13:PM »

Speculation here, some of NYC trads. believe that "Bones" was Malachi and that the exorcism brought about his conversion.  Ideally many N.O. 60s priest could have fit the bill.
Trying to jog my memory on past conversations of friends who knew him regarding exorcisms... oh well, perhaps Fr. Jim or Unknown can weigh in.

By the way, is it me or was that music awful?
Can't help wondering what is the back story behind this group producing the film?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:52:PM by Don Quixote »

spasiisochrani

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 02:50:PM »
In fact after much intrigue and caluminy the Jesuits fessed up that he had never been laicized as many contended. Paul VI released him from the vows but he remained a priest as Walty said.

tim

I don't think that's the case.  Here's the statement to which you refer:

I spoke with Fr. Vincent O'Keefe, former vicar general of the Society of Jesus who is now retired. According to Fr. O'Keefe, Malachi Martin was indeed dispensed from his vows of poverty and obedience but not the vow of chastity. At the time Martin requested such dispensation, the Vatican was not dispensing priests who so requested such dispensation from the vow of chastity or celibacy. Fr. O'Keefe pointed out that Martin never married. His obituary in the New York Times, however, points out that Martin lived with a female companion.

Fr. Widner

Tom Widner SJ
Secretary for Communications
U.S. Jesuit Conference
1616 P St. N.W., Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20036-1420
202-462-0400
Fax: 202-328-9212

http://www.williamhkennedy.com/articles/highrankMM.html

It appears that he was laicised but not given a dispensation from celibacy or the vow of chastity. 

There seems to be a Vatican statement on the matter also, which is somewhat different:

Malachi Martin states, and the Holy See will confirm if asked, that "In 1965, Mr. Martin received a dispensation from all privileges and obligations deriving from his vows as a Jesuit and from priestly ordination." [Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, 25 June 1997, Prot. N. 04300/65].

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/malachi_martin.htm

Although the statements differ in some respects, they both state that Fr. Martin was laicised.

Gerard

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 03:20:PM »
Fr. Paul Wickens, Fr. Charles Fiore,  William H. Kennedy and I may be wrong but I think Gerry Matatics as well have confirmed that they have seen Fr. Martin's "paperwork" verifying his status.  Cardinal O'Connor according to Kennedy tried to put a stop to Fr. Martin's activities and claims but Fr. Martin presented his celebret to O'Connor and that was the end of the issue. 

Tim

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 03:35:PM »
Does it make any sense to be laicized but still demand he remain celibate ?. I'm with Gerard, Fr.Fiore et al.

tim

verenaerin

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 03:37:PM »
Even if he was living with a woman, it could have been a house keeper or something innocent like that.  In light of all the exorcisms he did, and consequently all the demons he must have angered, any info I read of him I consider very cautiously.
I cough for my own amusement...

I fight for the rights of the sleeveless!

Gerard

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 03:55:PM »
Even if he was living with a woman, it could have been a house keeper or something innocent like that.  In light of all the exorcisms he did, and consequently all the demons he must have angered, any info I read of him I consider very cautiously.

I think it was Cardinal Cooke (maybe Spellman)  that encouraged him to rent rooms in a family setting for his safety.  I think it was the Cardinal who put him in touch with the Livanos family.