Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
April 20, 2014, 02:56:PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: So, Pavlov's sitting in a bar enjoying a pint. The phone rings. He jumps up and says, "Dang! I forgot to feed the dog!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fisher More College Dean Dr. Taylor Marshall on EWTN  (Read 1669 times)
FisherMoreCollege

« on: July 03, 2012, 03:44:PM »

Hello all,
I don't know if anyone got to see this, but Fisher More College Dean Dr. Taylor Marshall was featured on EWTN's "Journey Home" program last night. If you missed it, check out the rebroadcast dates! http://www.fishermore.edu/dean-taylor-marshall-on-ewtns-journey-home-july-2-at-8pm-eastern-7pm-central/
Vincentius
Gold Fish

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:51:PM »

Hello all,
I don't know if anyone got to see this, but Fisher More College Dean Dr. Taylor Marshall was featured on EWTN's "Journey Home" program last night. If you missed it, check out the rebroadcast dates! http://www.fishermore.edu/dean-taylor-marshall-on-ewtns-journey-home-july-2-at-8pm-eastern-7pm-central/

Among the many converts from fundamentalism, evangelicalism, et al., Taylor Marshall is one of the very few who left their protty baggage back home when they swam across the Tiber and wholly embraced the Catholic faith.  Many of the so-called converts turned Catholic "apologists" unfortunately still cling to their old but somewhat reconstructed, made-over faith.

Is there a transcript of the interview?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:53:PM by Vincentius » Logged

http://www.alcazar.net

Anything we do without offering it to God, is wasted.” -- St. John Vianney, The Curé of Ars

When next you hear some attack called an idle paradox, Ask after the dox.  Pursue the dox; persecute the dox. In short ask the dox whether it is orthodox.
---G.K. Chesterton, Daily News, October 28, 1911

God Himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead. So why should you?

In thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me never be confounded: deliver me in thy justice.

The world was to be saved by the preaching of the Cross and on the Eucharist, and not by human wisdom or eloquence
FisherMoreCollege

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:53:AM »

There is a video of the interview going up soon on EWTN's website. I'll post the link as soon as it's available.
iona_scribe
Blue Fish
Personality type: melancholic

manuscript illuminator

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:21:AM »

Among the many converts from fundamentalism, evangelicalism, et al., Taylor Marshall is one of the very few who left their protty baggage back home when they swam across the Tiber and wholly embraced the Catholic faith.  Many of the so-called converts turned Catholic "apologists" unfortunately still cling to their old but somewhat reconstructed, made-over faith.

It's true; though I'd guess a "High Church" Anglican has a smaller theological gap to cross than your average Evangelical (speaking as a former protestant myself). I very much enjoy his blog: http://cantuar.blogspot.com/

Remember, O Christian soul, that thou hast this day, and every day of thy life: God to glorify- Jesus to imitate- The Angels and Saints to invoke- A soul to save- A body to mortify- Sins to expiate- Virtues to acquire- Hell to avoid- Heaven to gain- Eternity to prepare for- Time to profit by- Neighbors to edify- The world to despise- Devils to combat- Passions to subdue- Death perhaps to suffer- Judgment to undergo.
newyorkcatholic

terrena despicere

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:27:AM »

Dr. Marshall is an interesting guy.  I'd recommend searching for his blog.  He also has posted here on FE but I don't think he's a regular.

One human thought alone is worth more than the entire world, hence God alone is worthy of it. -- St. John of the Cross

FisherMoreCollege

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:18:PM »

The interview is now up on EWTN's website. View it here: http://www.ewtn.com/tv/live/journeyhome.asp
Vincentius
Gold Fish

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 12:22:AM »

Quote from: iona_scribe
It's true; though I'd guess a "High Church" Anglican has a smaller theological gap to cross than your average Evangelical (speaking as a former protestant myself). I very much enjoy his blog: http://cantuar.blogspot.com/[/

Is he Anglican or Episcopalian?.  There is a difference.  It's not "high church" that makes the theological gap but,  it has been made evident it is the Anglican (perhaps some Episcopalians) who has some devotion or reverence for the Blessed Virgin Mary that makes him essentially "catholic" though not yet a convert.   Notice how very few converts grasp at the notion of revering Mary and it is about her that becomes an obstacle to fully embrace the faith.  Many remain "catholic" but retain cling to the protestant baggage they bring along with them.

http://www.alcazar.net

Anything we do without offering it to God, is wasted.” -- St. John Vianney, The Curé of Ars

When next you hear some attack called an idle paradox, Ask after the dox.  Pursue the dox; persecute the dox. In short ask the dox whether it is orthodox.
---G.K. Chesterton, Daily News, October 28, 1911

God Himself does not propose to judge a man until he is dead. So why should you?

In thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me never be confounded: deliver me in thy justice.

The world was to be saved by the preaching of the Cross and on the Eucharist, and not by human wisdom or eloquence
iona_scribe
Blue Fish
Personality type: melancholic

manuscript illuminator

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:AM »

Quote from: iona_scribe
It's true; though I'd guess a "High Church" Anglican has a smaller theological gap to cross than your average Evangelical (speaking as a former protestant myself). I very much enjoy his blog: http://cantuar.blogspot.com/[/

Is he Anglican or Episcopalian?.  There is a difference.  It's not "high church" that makes the theological gap but,  it has been made evident it is the Anglican (perhaps some Episcopalians) who has some devotion or reverence for the Blessed Virgin Mary that makes him essentially "catholic" though not yet a convert.   Notice how very few converts grasp at the notion of revering Mary and it is about her that becomes an obstacle to fully embrace the faith.  Many remain "catholic" but retain cling to the protestant baggage they bring along with them.

In his conversion story, he refers to himself as a former Anglican priest, but also speaks of being part of the Episcopalian church: http://cantuar.blogspot.com/2006/05/my-canterbury-trail-to-rome.html

The Episcopal church is the U.S. province of the Anglican communion, so maybe he just uses Anglican for simplicity's sake. I don't know enough about it to know which is more correct to say.  To make things more confusing, I know that some individual Episcopal churches have split with the U.S. Episcopal church and aligned themselves with different Anglican provinces overseas because of various theological issues; so they call themselves Anglican, even though they are in the U.S.  And I saw it advertised recently that there is an "Anglican Mission" church starting up in my neighborhood.  I don't have any idea what that means!  Huh?

Remember, O Christian soul, that thou hast this day, and every day of thy life: God to glorify- Jesus to imitate- The Angels and Saints to invoke- A soul to save- A body to mortify- Sins to expiate- Virtues to acquire- Hell to avoid- Heaven to gain- Eternity to prepare for- Time to profit by- Neighbors to edify- The world to despise- Devils to combat- Passions to subdue- Death perhaps to suffer- Judgment to undergo.
TaylorMarshall

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 02:34:PM »

Regarding the terms Anglican and Episcopalian, there are essentially the same. Episcopalian was adopted in Scotland and America in order to drop the official association with the Ecclesia Anglicana (Church of England).

It was pretty tough for Anglicans during and after the American Revolution - the enemy was A/England. American Anglicans preferred not to bear the English identity (Anglican) and so were called Episcopal - which meant that they were the Protestants who claimed to have episcopoi (Greek word for bishops).

Globally, Anglican is the norm. In America, it's Episcopal.

However, in America, conservative Episcopalians in the last ten years have reverted back to the term "Anglican" to differentiate themselves from the liberal mainstream Episcopal Church of the USA.

When I was an Anglican clergyman, I would have called myself an Anglo-Catholic priest.

ad Jesum per Mariam,

Taylor Marshall, PhD
JayneK
Gold Fish
Personality type: INTJ

with my grandsons

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 03:49:PM »

That's a nice change.  Somebody turned up when we were talking about him and nobody was saying anything bad.  Grin

ADORABLE Saviour, consider my many wants, and grant me those graces which Thou knowest I stand in need of to do Thy will in all things.
Pages: [1] 2

Jump to: