Church > Questions about Traditional Catholicism

Blessed Candles

(1/2) > >>

BlackDuck:
If bringing candles to be blessed, do they have to be at least 51% beeswax or does this rule only apply to alter candles?  Can candles for private devotional use be blessed outside of Candlemas?  If so, then what is the difference between having candles blessed outside Candlesmas and candles blessed during Candlemas?

Stubborn:
No need to be 51% beeswax unless the candles are use on the Altar or for Votive light, and they can be blessed any time of the year.

Back in the early 70s when the NO was, well, New and was being perpetrated, many of the new traditional Catholics thought he end of the world was happening, it was thought that only 51% beeswax would light or remained lit during the "Three Days of Darkness", but far as I know, 51% is not necessary for private devotion.

BlackDuck:

--- Quote from: Stubborn on August 16, 2012, 02:21:PM ---No need to be 51% beeswax unless the candles are use on the Altar or for Votive light, and they can be blessed any time of the year.

--- End quote ---
I would like to use the candle as a private devotion but I have a statue of the BVM that I would light the candle for.  Does the 51% rule apply for votive candles used privately?

If candles can be blessed at any time, then what is so special about Candlemas that I am missing?

formerbuddhist:
The Blessing at Candlemas is a different blessing just like Epiphany water has a different blessing than your average holy water. The blessing for candles is a powerful one whether done on Candlemas or not. Blessed candles are powerful sacramentals. Here is a blessing for candles in English from the Rituale Romanum:

25. BLESSING OF CANDLES

P: Our help is in the name of the Lord.

All: Who made heaven and earth.

P: The Lord be with you.

All: May He also be with you.

Let us pray.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, bless  these candles at our lowly request. Endow them, Lord, by the power of the holy  cross, with a blessing from on high, you who gave them to mankind in order to dispel darkness. Let the blessing that they receive from the sign of the holy  cross be so effectual that, wherever they are lighted or placed, the princes of darkness may depart in trembling from all these places, and flee in fear, along with all their legions, and never more dare to disturb or molest those who serve you, the almighty God, who live and reign forever and ever.

All: Amen.

They are sprinkled with holy water.

Stubborn:

--- Quote from: BlackDuck on August 16, 2012, 08:46:PM ---
--- Quote from: Stubborn on August 16, 2012, 02:21:PM ---No need to be 51% beeswax unless the candles are use on the Altar or for Votive light, and they can be blessed any time of the year.

--- End quote ---
I would like to use the candle as a private devotion but I have a statue of the BVM that I would light the candle for.  Does the 51% rule apply for votive candles used privately?

--- End quote ---

No, private devotion does not need 51% but still always good to have them blessed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version