Fish Eaters Traditional Catholic Forum
July 24, 2014, 01:45:AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: Gold walks into a bar. The bartender yells "AU! Get out!"

Fish Eaters    Forum Index   Forum Rules   Help Calendar Members Chat Room   Who's Chatting   Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Phobias and Freak-outs  (Read 15759 times)
VoxClamantis
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2006, 11:58:AM »

Another one. From the Denver Post:

Lightning zeros in on teenager's tunes
Castle Rock boy burned via iPod wires
By Felisa Cardona
Denver Post Staff Writer

Castle Rock - Jason Bunch was listening to Metallica on his iPod while mowing the lawn outside his Castle Rock home Sunday afternoon when lightning hit him.

The last thing the 17-year-old remembers was that a storm was coming from the north and he had only about 15 minutes before he should go inside.

Next thing he knew, he was in his bed, bleeding from his ears and vomiting. He was barefoot and had taken off his burned T-shirt and gym shorts. He doesn't know how he got back in the house.

Bunch immediately called his mother, who was in Illinois visiting family.

"Mom, I think I was hit by lightning," he said.

Kelly Risheill told her son to call 911, and she started the 14-hour drive home.

About the same time, a neighbor saw Bunch's scorched green and white Reebok tennis shoes in the street, a few feet away from the lawn mower. She also called for help.

Bunch was taken to Sky Ridge Medical Center and placed in intensive care. He was sent home Tuesday.

"I'm alive, and that is what I am grateful for," Bunch said as he lay in bed Wednesday.

From the hospital, Bunch called a friend and told him he wasn't able to go bowling. Then, he called a girl he was supposed to meet for a date.

"I said, 'I did not stand you up. I was struck by lightning."'

Bunch's ears were burned on the inside, and he's lost some hearing, mostly on the right side. His hair was singed.

His face, chest, hands and right leg have freckle-size welts on them as if buckshot had come from inside his body out.

The wounds follow the line of his iPod, from his ears down his right side to his hip, where he was carrying the device. The iPod has a hole in the back, and the earbuds dissolved into green threads.

Bunch and his mother believe the iPod acted as an antenna, drawing the lightning to him. There were tall pine trees nearby that didn't get hit.

But lightning and weather experts say that's probably not the case.

"There is no scientific evidence to show that lightning is 'attracted' to items like an iPod. However, if someone wearing earbuds is struck, current may travel along the wires into the ears," said Gregory Stewart of the Denver-based Lightning Reference Center. "There are documented cases of lightning traveling through wired telephones and killing the users. "

Objects such as loose change in victims' pockets have left first- and second-degree burns after a lightning strike, Stewart said.

Doctors have told Bunch his hearing might come back if the nerves inside were not damaged. For now, he can't stand up because he gets dizzy and his equilibrium is off.

Bunch's mother recalled the death of a motorcyclist who was hit by lightning on U.S. 36 last month and expressed relief that her son's life was spared.

"It's a miracle," she said. "He should not have lived through it."

Staff writer Felisa Cardona can be reached at 303-820-1219 or fcardona@denverpost.com.

VoxClamantis
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2006, 04:15:AM »

More terror from the skies:

From alertnet.org:

Lightning strikes kill 82 in China
14 Jul 2006 01:53:44 GMT

BEIJING, July 14 (Reuters) - Lightning strikes killed 82 people across China in June, a Chinese newspaper reported on Friday after several nights of violent storms in the capital, Beijing.

The death toll was recorded across 20 provinces, with 22 people killed in the eastern province of Jiangsu alone, the International Business Daily said.

It said the death toll marked an increase on June 2005, but did got give figures.

"The main reasons for the deaths are the lack of lightning avoidance measures, equipment and knowledge," the International Business Daily said. It did not elaborate.

Heavy summer storms have battered wide swaths of China this year, with meteorological disasters killing at least 349 people and causing economic losses of about $2.53 billion in June, Xinhua reported.

The capital has been hit by severe electrical storms for successive nights, cutting power to several hundred households.

A tropical storm which caused several deaths in the Philippines swept across northern Taiwan overnight, causing mudslides, and was bearing down on the coastal Chinese province of Fujian where thousands have been evacuated in its path.

But Tropical Storm Bilis was never upgraded into a typhoon and is expected to weaken once it makes landfall.

The Taiwan port of Kaohsiung, shut down before the storm hit, has resumed operations,

From the UK's Daily Mail:

'Unluckiest woman in world'
struck by lightning four times

By LUKE SALKELD, Daily Mail
22:00pm 14th July 2006

Lightning, so the saying goes, never strikes twice.

But try telling that to Christine Moody.

For the 84-year-old claims to have been struck by lightning a shocking four times.

And now whenever a storm is brewing, she is forced to put on her wellington boots and take cover.

The retired accountant says she was first hit by lightning while sipping a cup of tea in 1980, and has since survived strikes at a funeral, in a high street and even while asleep in bed.

Yesterday Mrs Moody said: "Being struck by lightning is the most horrible feeling - it's terrifying.

"I feel very lucky to have survived but now I am very sensitive to electricity.

"I have to watch the weather forecast very closely but I know how to prepare myself now.

"The one in my bed was the worst. I woke with a start and I couldn't move."

A spokesman for William Hill said Mrs Moody, who has six grandchildren, was a contender for "unluckiest woman in the world".

Rupert Adams said: "You have got to be very unlucky to be struck by lightning once.

"Four times is incredible - the odds must be somewhere in the region of ten billion to one."

Now every time a storm breaks, Christine dons a pair of rubber-heeled shoes and takes shelter in her car, which is parked in a stone walled garage.

She believes the rubber tyres will protect her in the event of a lightning strike, and takes blankets and enough food to last the duration of the storm.

And she is too afraid to venture outside too often for fear of getting caught in a storm.

Her Mamma didn't raise no fools! 

"I have hardly been out of the house since Christmas," she said.

Former accountant Mrs Moody says she was first struck by lightning in 1980 as she sat by the window of a hotel in Newquay, Cornwall, with her late husband Harold.

I have to know: was she inside or outside the hotel? It has to be inside, or the fact that she was near a window wouldn't have been mentioned. This is not good.

The second strike happened as she waited outside a friend's funeral in Bath four years ago.

Mr Moody recalled: "I was just stepping up into the entrance of the crematorium when it happened. My body was suddenly paralysed and it was as if I went straight into shock.

"My husband knew what had happened and he took me straight home."

The third strike happened six months later as was standing in a street in her home town of Bath, Somerset.

She was struck again in December 2004 as she lay in bed, and now she is too afraid to venture outside for fear of getting caught in a storm.

Fortunately Mrs Moody has never been seriously injured by a lightning strike, and has never needed medical attention afterwards.

"All you can do is rest and build your strength back up," she said.

An average of three people are killed every year in Britain by lightning strikes, which average 30million volts.

Last week a schoolgirl was lucky to survive being hit by lightning as she lay in bed.

Karla Pope was trying to sleep through a thunderstorm when the bolt measuring one billion volts hit a TV aerial on the roof, blew a hole in the bedroom ceiling and struck her metal-framed bed.

The 16-year-old suffered burns to her hands, which were touching the frame at the time, and head injuries caused by debris from the roof of her parents' house in Colerne, near Chippenham, Wiltshire.

The forked lightning bolt left a two-and-a-half foot hole in the ceiling before hitting Karla's metal bunk bed 3ft below.

Woe!

Mommie2Boys
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2006, 07:04:PM »

Karla Pope was trying to sleep through a thunderstorm when the bolt measuring one billion volts hit a TV aerial on the roof, blew a hole in the bedroom ceiling and struck her metal-framed bed.

The 16-year-old suffered burns to her hands, which were touching the frame at the time, and head injuries caused by debris from the roof of her parents' house in Colerne, near Chippenham, Wiltshire.

That does it!!! No metal framed beds!! My boys have wooden bunk beds and if we ever buy a head or foot board for our bed, it's gonna have to be wooden too now.... *shivers*

VoxClamantis
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2006, 09:25:PM »

Another for the Lightning Collection (TM). I like to have these, BTW, so when storms come and I get nervous, I will have something to show my husband, thus proving I am not totally mad:

From Breitbart:

Lightning Strike Injures 7 Hikers
Jul 18 7:30 PM US/Eastern
MARBLE, Colo.

Lightning struck a tree where seven mountain hikers were resting, seriously injuring a 15-year-old and sending all seven to a hospital, authorities said Tuesday.

The hikers, from two parties, had stopped near the tree Monday on 11,850-foot Marble Mountain about 120 miles west of Denver when lightning hit it, the Gunnison County Undersheriff Richard Besecker said.

Brock Neville was leaning against the tree when it was struck, Besecker said. Witnesses said the teen went into cardiac arrest twice and was resuscitated by another hiker, Besecker said.

Four people in the group were able to walk to Marble, about 4 miles away, and call 911.

Neville was in serious but stable condition Tuesday, the sheriff's department said. The six others were treated at a hospital and released.

The injured included two young children, ages 5 and 9, officials said. A dog that belonged to one of the hikers was killed.

AdoramusTeChriste
Dances with Chopper

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2006, 09:49:PM »

Here's a sky munster story closer to home. Poor kids.

Lightning strike kills nine-year-old

July 20, 2006, 11:58 AM EDT

The boys were playing outside under a tree when the lightning struck.
The boys were playing outside under a tree when the lightning struck.
The tree the boys were under shows the damage from the fatal strike.
The tree the boys were under shows the damage from the fatal strike.

Alex Sanz/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - One boy is dead and another is in the hospital after being struck by lightning late Tuesday afternoon in an apartment complex near 38th Street and German Church Road.

Police say nine-year-old Miguel Navarrete and his friend, 11-year-old Adrian Cruz, were standing under a tree outside their apartment building at The Oaks at Buck Creek complex when storms moved in just before 6:30 Tuesday night.

That is when the lightning struck.    

Both boys were unconcious when they arrived at Wishard Hospital. Miguel was pronounced dead shortly after he got there.

Captain Phil Burton of the Marion County Sheriff's Department says it was a case of both boys being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"It was raining very hard. There was lightning. Unfortunately, the two boys were standing under the tree. Friends; they were just out playing.  Unfortunately we had this incident take place," Burton said.

Adrian Cruz is in stable condition at Wishard Hospital.

His family told Eyewitness News that Adrian was awake, talking and is expected to make a full recovery.

TRAD UP!!!
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
To listen to the hymn- http://fisheaters.com/forumpix/adoramustechriste.html

"I am convinced that the crisis of the church which we are living through today was largely caused by the disintegration of the liturgy."              
- The former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger

"Their cold stares remind me of the neo-cons that just sign up to FE - they are fish, but they are dead." ~ Marty

VoxClamantis
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2006, 05:45:AM »

Another for the collection, via Spooky. From WFTV.com:

Teen Hit By Lightning While Playing Poker Online
July 20, 2006

CANTONMENT, Fla. -- A teenager hit by lightning while playing online poker spent Thursday recovering at an area hospital.

Eddie Wilkenson, 17, was electrocuted Wednesday afternoon when a lightning strike traveled through his home computer.

"I heard the lightning and I saw a flash. I felt a jolt go up my right arm and through my whole body," he told the Pensacola News Journal. "I couldn't move. My whole body was weak."

A few minutes later, he phoned his mother for help.

She called paramedics and drove across town to reach her son.

The family said the teen will need physical therapy to recover full use of his arm.

Eddie Wilkenson said he had been warned about using the computer in storms, but didn't take the warnings seriously.

"Where there is thunder, there is lightning. If you hear it, don't get on your computer," he said Wednesday night.

Computers can be protected from lightning strikes by surge protectors.

VoxClamantis
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2006, 07:53:AM »

Another one for my collection. From livescience.com:

Weather Official:
'Alarming Increase' in Lightning Deaths
By LiveScience Staff
posted: 04 August 2006
04:06 pm ET

Lightning killed at least 14 people in the United States during the second half of July, a pace twice as deadly as in a typical year for the same two weeks.

"In the past two weeks, we've seen an alarming increase in the number of lightning deaths in this country," said John Jensenius, a lightning safety expert with the NOAA National Weather Service. "People are ignoring the common warning signs of thunderstorms or failing to get to a safe place when thunderstorms threaten."

So far this year, lightning has claimed 27 lives in 19 states. Three other deaths in the last two weeks might have been lightning-related but are not in the officials statistics.

Among the lightning deaths this year:

• Four involved teens playing soccer in three separate incidents.  
  • Three were golf-related.  
  • Two people were riding lawn mowers.

"Unfortunately, the same fatal mistakes that have been made for centuries are being repeated today," Jensenius said today. "With lightning, there is no safe place outside when a thunderstorm is nearby. If you can hear thunder, you're likely within striking distance of the storm and need to get to a safe place immediately."

In an average year, 66 Americans are killed by lightning and hundreds are injured.

NOAA's advice: Seek safety in a substantial building. If unable to do so, a hard-topped metal vehicle is a good second choice. Once inside, avoid contact with any electrical equipment or plumbing, stay off corded phones, and stay away from windows and doors. Remain inside for 30 minutes after the thunderstorm has passed.

Daniel
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2006, 06:19:AM »

This thread freaked me out:  http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/apologia/vpost?id=1302685&trail=45

VoxClamantis
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2007, 10:33:PM »

This was totally unnecessary...

Car hit by Lightning

Spooky7272
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2007, 12:52:AM »

Here's a mini-van getting struck in Toronto
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Jump to: