Archives > Apologetics and Questions about Traditional Catholicism Archive I

Proper use of the Rosary?

(1/2) > >>

Reese:
I just started reading "The Secret of the Rosary," St. Louis De  Montfort, and I came across this quote attributed to the great saint.  "Let me but place my rosary around a sinner's neck and he will not  escape me."

I was extremely surprised to read this because  of an experience in childhood. I was taught to never put the rosary  around your neck. My Italian grandmother gave me a rosary when I was 5  or 6 years old, not knowing what it was exactly, I put it around my  neck. She slapped me across the face when she saw what I did and told  me to never to do that again.  I was left with the feeling that it was very bad to put the rosary  around your neck. Is it a sin or a sacrilege to place the rosary around  your neck?

VoxClamantis:
I imagine St. Louis de Montfort was speaking metaphorically. It isn't inherently sinful to have the Rosary around your neck -- if you have it around your neck because you are busy and are wanting to pray with it throughout the day in a way that wouldn't scandalize. But one isn't to wear it as jewelry -- which wearing it around the neck for any reason in public would lead people to think is your purpose.
This is my understanding of things...

KyrieEleison:

--- Quote from: Reese ---I just started reading "The Secret of the Rosary," St. Louis De Montfort, and I came across this quote attributed to the great saint. "Let me but place my rosary around a sinner's neck and he will not escape me."

I was extremely surprised to read this because of an experience in childhood. I was taught to never put the rosary around your neck. My Italian grandmother gave me a rosary when I was 5 or 6 years old, not knowing what it was exactly, I put it around my neck. She slapped me across the face when she saw what I did and told me to never to do that again. I was left with the feeling that it was very bad to put the rosary around your neck. Is it a sin or a sacrilege to place the rosary around your neck?

--- End quote ---
Hmm, my fourth grade teacher, a habited nun, did that to one of my classmates.

NuncDimittis:

--- Quote from: Reese --- I was left with the feeling that it was very bad to put the rosary around your neck. Is it a sin or a sacrilege to place the rosary around your neck?

--- End quote ---
First let me say I love the writings of St. Louis De Montfort.   Secondly, regarding the rosary around the neck...certainly it is a sacrilige when it is worn as jewelry. Things I see today boggle my mind. I would think that pilgrims, maybe short on pockets, might have a reason to wear it around the neck.   Warm regards, Douglas  

Credo:
What about putting a Rosary around one's rear-view mirror. This seems to be for the same showy purpose and has bothered me, what say you folks?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version