salvete omnes discipuli et discipulae Latinae. quomodo valetis?
i wish to present you all (latin students) , a special interview with professor john pepino. he is one of the most fluent latinists in the united states, and ranks up there with those in the world. he is currently teaching at the fssp seminary in lincoln nebraska. today i had the opportunity to speak with him over the telephone, in which he answered a few questions i made for him. so, if you want to hear someone speaking latin i invite you to listen to the conversation.
i am not yet able to speak fluently, nevertheless i mostly listened to what was being said. the quality of the recording is fair, but still intelligible. i hope that this will inspire you to learn latin.
lingua latina vivit!
audio - right-click-save-as [4.3 MB]http://www.ernestschaffer.com/latina/pepino_111005.mp3
1. Professor, would you please tell us a little bit about yourself?
Doctor, si faveas nobis, loquere de te ipso.
2. How is the weather in Nebraska?
Quomodo clima in Nebraska se habet?
3. Is Latin making a comeback?
Resurgitne lingua Latina acceptissima?
4. How long have you been speaking Latin?
Quamdiu loquebaris Latine?
5. Is Latin your favorite language to teach?
Estne lingua Latina dilectissima ad docendum?
6. Is it necessary for a priest to learn Latin in the modern age?
Necesse est sacerdos linguam Latinam tempore moderno discat?
7. Do all Catholics have a duty to learn the language of their church?
Habentne omnes Catholici officium ad linguam ecclesiae suae adipiscendam?
8. What advice would you give to someone who wants to learn Latin?
Quid consilii dares alicui cupienti Latinam discere?
9. Have you ever spoken with professor Luigi Miraglia from Italy?
Locutus es umquam cum professore Luigi Miraglia de Italia?
10. When speaking to others in Latin, do the majority use the classical
or the ecclesiastical pronuntiation?
Loquentes cum aliis in modo Latino, qua pronuntiatione utuntur plurimi homines,
antiqua, vel ecclesiastica?
11. Are there any formal groups for people who speak Latin to meet and
converse with each other?
Suntne ulli greges formales pro populo Latine loquente quo conveniant et
inter se loquantur?
12. What do you tell those people who say that they do not understand
Latin and are glad that Mass is in the vernacular?
Quid dicis illis hominibus qui dicant se non intellegere Latinam et
gaudere Missae in plebum lingua celebratae causa?
13. Could you comment on the ignorance of Latin among the majority of the
hierarchy of the church?
Fortasse facere commentarium de ignorantia Latinae inter
hierarchiae ecclesialis maioritatem possis?
14. Do you consider yourself to be a traditionalist?
Putasne te ipsum esse traditionalistam?
15. Do you go to the new Mass?
Frequentasne Missam novi ordinis?
16. Who are your favorite popes? How about saints?
Qui sunt dilectissimi papae tui? et sancti sanctaeque?
17. Do you believe that we are in the end times, last days?
Putasne nos vivere novissimis temporibus?
18. How is the old Mass different from the new Mass?
Quomodo Missa antiqua novaque inter se differunt?
19. Could you briefly describe some of the differences between
traditional Thomistic theology versus the new theology?
Breviter, potesne demonstrare nonnulla differentia inter
traditionalem Thomisticam theologiam et novam theologiam?
20. Do you see any link between Vatican Council II and the scandals among
Vides ullam connectionem inter Secundum Concilium Vaticanum et clericorum scandala?
21. What is the attitude of the seminary professors towards the society
of St.Pius X?
Quid est attitudo professorum in seminario erga fraternitatem sacerdotalem
Sancti Pii Decimi?
22. What are your plans for the near future?
Quae sunt consilia tua proximo tempore?