thinkagain_728x90
Choose style:

Author Topic: List of Banned Books  (Read 4788 times)

Immaculata001

List of Banned Books
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 03:54:PM »

I beg your pardon, but if one of your family members did something immoral, like perverting the mass, vulgarizing it, changing its form and intent,and reforming it to the Satanic ritual of Freemasons and the heresy of Protestants, wouldn't you write a book about it, publishing it to the whole world and chastising the family, so that the person would change?

Victims of sexual abuse in the Church obeyed procedures and respected Church hierarchy  for untold decades, at great harm and suffering to themselves -- it is/was the Church hierarchy that was/is responsible for non-Catholics holding us up to ridicule, just as the situation with the mass. It is morally unconscionable to suggest that widespread, abominable, crimes against children should be dealt with internally! People don't want to convert because our sins stink to high Heaven and are worthy of chastisement, and no amount of silence will keep them hidden.

creimann

List of Banned Books
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 04:19:PM »

Quote from: Immaculata001
Question: Is all book banning really concerned with our spiritual welfare, guarding us from backsliding and spiritual ruin, or does the Church apparatus use/abuse its power to enforce political and social objectives entirely unrelated to religion?  This book seems like an expose or criticism of the institutional Church's unethical practices or dubious findings -- did they use their power to suppress it? How many books exposing sexual abuse in the Church would be banned now, if we had an index?

I think it is concerned with our spiritual welfare. Why should the Church fail to indicate that a book tends to normalize grievous sin? I think that as the crisis of faith spread, the institutional Church simultaneously lost its moorings and became worthy of criticisms just as it began to behave very badly. The loss of faith contributes to both currents.

Quote from: Mac
More interestingly, I would have to read the previously mentioned book, to  analyze the situation. That's why book-banning doesn't work -- it fosters increased interest and curiosity in the subject matter it bans; worse still, when books have been banned in error, it casts suspicion on the Church hierarchy that bans them.

Well, you are a very modern person, and have become accustomed to sifting for yourself all information sources. The Catholic faith has a relevant concept called 'unholy curiosity', to which Psalm 130 is a reference. I think it is hard for us to fully appreciate book banning, coming at least in part as we do from our post-Masonic western culture. But as we lost book banning, we now have ubiquitous smut. The slide downward is dramatic.

DominusTecum

List of Banned Books
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 05:09:PM »

Back when the churchmen were sane, pre-VII, the Index was a very good thing. One didn't have to question whether one should obey the Index, because the books which were banned were all anti-Catholic, critical of the Church, or against the faith in some way, or subversive to it.

Now, it would probably still be a good thing, because the liberals would not dare to use the "absolute truth" authority of the Church to ban books of traditionalists. They would not ban books today, for the same reason that they suppressed the Index Librorum Prohibitorum in 1966, namely, they renounce their authority to tell the faithful what is right and what is wrong.

Essentially, one might say that pre-VII, the Church could do no wrong, because it was Catholic through and through. The Pope was a proponent of the traditional Catholic faith, the Sacred Congregation of the Index, charged with the maintenance and upkeep of the Index Librorum Prohibitorum, were "trads."

Bad books will destroy souls just as fast as bad companions will, perhaps moreso. Censorship is a good thing, but it must be Catholic, not modernist. It is a great pity that the index is no longer updated and enforced, because I believe that many more works of the modernists would be condemned than would works of traditionalists. It was a weighty matter for a book to be put on the Index, and not done lightly at all. Thus, only books contrary to the Catholic faith made it on, and not books which were simply critical of one Bishop, unless the ramifications of this criticism could do grave harm to the universal Church. There is much contrary to the Catholic faith in the works of the modernists, and nothing contrary to the faith in the works of traditionalists. Consequently, if the Index was administered rightly, all would be fine.

royalcello

List of Banned Books
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 05:28:PM »
Quote from: DominusTecum
Now, it would probably still be a good thing, because the liberals would not dare to use the "absolute truth" authority of the Church to ban books of traditionalists.

No, but the neoconservatives would!  On the FreeRepublic Religion forum there's a zealous neo-Catholic crowd quite eager to see pre-Vatican II methods (not limited to book-banning!) used against the SSPX and other trads.

Paul

List of Banned Books
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 07:25:PM »
Quote from: Immaculata001

I beg your pardon, but if one of your family members did something immoral, like perverting the mass, vulgarizing it, changing its form and intent,and reforming it to the Satanic ritual of Freemasons and the heresy of Protestants, wouldn't you write a book about it, publishing it to the whole world and chastising the family, so that the person would change?

No, I wouldn't, if it would ultimately harm the Church.

What would be the point of writing a book about the sexual abuse problem? To let people know that some priests abused children? The media are doing quite a fine job of that. If the bishops are the problem, then we go to Rome and the Pope. As horrible as it is for a bishop to protect priests who commit crimes, this whole mess has also completely taken away any moral authority they have with the public. 50 years ago, if a Catholic bishop spoke out on moral issues, people listened. Now, the bishops are ignored. Much of that is their own fault, but there's no need for us as Catholics to add to that.

Under the 1917 Code, by the way, anyone who brought a priest or bishop before a secular court, without the permission of the local Ordinary, was excommunicated latae sententiae. The reason for that is because the Church is superior to the state, not the other way around. Why shouldn't the Church handle such matters? I assume you have no problem with secular courts punishing politicans or police who break the civil law.

Perhaps today, with the modernists firmly in control of things, it might be moral to ignore a bishop's order not to publish something critical of the Church (even if a bishop these days would even give such an order), but disobeying our clergy is not something that should be done lightly, nor is saying anything that makes the Church look bad.

mattc

List of Banned Books
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 12:11:AM »
Quote from: Paul
Under the 1917 Code, by the way, anyone who brought a priest or bishop before a secular court, without the permission of the local Ordinary, was excommunicated latae sententiae. The reason for that is because the Church is superior to the state, not the other way around. Why shouldn't the Church handle such matters? I assume you have no problem with secular courts punishing politicans or police who break the civil law.

Maybe if we burnt a few child-molesting priests at the stake we might regain some credibility again.  Otherwise, I don't think anyone is impressed with the way the Church "handled such matters."

And another angel came, and stood before the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given to him much incense, that he should offer of the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar, which is before the throne of God.  And the smoke of the incense of the prayers of the saints ascended up before God from the hand of the angel.

The Apocalypse of Saint John 8:3-4

creimann

List of Banned Books
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 06:58:PM »

There's no need to waste perfectly good stakes, my friend.

BibleCatholicJMJ

List of Banned Books
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 02:08:AM »

Quote from: AGtoTrad
Don't forget, the reason that there is even a banned book list is to care for our souls. Not to be mean or keep us 'educated'. There are many good, pious Catholics, who are not grounded in their faith solidily. As a result a book that is heretical in nature could confuse them and lead them astray.

Oh yeah, I'm not questioning the list.  I just wanted to know where it was and maybe see what was on it.  I don't see how I'll ever know every title on that list though... :)

DominusTecum

List of Banned Books
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 02:43:AM »

Not to worry, most of the stuff on there is old and nobody's seen copies of it for 300 years or more. Too, we speak English, and most of the stuff on there tends to be French and Latin.

BibleCatholicJMJ

List of Banned Books
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 02:49:AM »
That's what I was wondering was if there was anything on there that a simple person like me might think about reading :D